Marketing/Community Outreach—Shakespeare in the Parks
Regional Theatre Tony Award recipient Chicago Shakespeare Theater (CST) is currently accepting Marketing/Community Outreach internship applications for Summer 2014. This position will be instrumental in executing promotional outreach for CST's Chicago Shakespeare in the Parks programming.
CST's Marketing/PR internship offers a rich and challenging experience for qualified college students, graduates and young professionals who are actively pursuing careers in professional theater administration. Marketing/PR interns are entrusted with a great deal of responsibility and have the opportunity to play an integral role in the Theater's Marketing Department. A small stipend will be provided.
The Marketing Department is charged with the development and execution of strategic plans to promote the institutional image and attract attendance to the plays and related programs produced by the Theater. Marketing interns must work a minimum of 25 hours per week for 10 weeks between May and August. In addition to a small stipend, interns receive one-on-one mentoring from Marketing Department staff, their own phone extension and CST email account, complimentary tickets to all Chicago Shakespeare performances, free tickets to other Chicago theaters through "industry" offers, and much more!
Desired Skills and Experience
- Minimum two years undergraduate education or equivalent experience in arts administration, direct marketing, communications, public relations, journalism, and/or community outreach
- Effective communication skills, both written and verbal
- Self-starter, multi-task oriented, and computer literate
- Experience in sales, promotions, or media desirable
- Website maintenance, Tessitura and/or e-marketing skills a plus
- Experience in community organizations, volunteer work, or grassroots campaigns desirable
- Willingness to mingle with audiences and accommodate visitors
- Familiarity with Chicago neighborhoods a plus
- Bilingual (English & Spanish) a plus
- Assist in execution of promotions, direct mail and e-marketing projects for summer programs, including: Chicago Shakespeare in the Parks and the CST Family Production
- Update mailing lists
- Maintain press clip and photo archives
- Assemble press kits
- Assist planning/hosting special events and openings
- Assist in maintaining customer service response system
- Conduct research for press releases and special projects
- Deliver promotional materials to partner organizations within the community
- Maintain social media connections and presence for Chicago Shakespeare in the Parks tour
Please submit a cover letter stating your specific interest(s), availability and how you heard about the position, a current CV or resume and two letters of academic or professional reference. If you wish to receive college credit for this internship, please include an outline of your school's requirements for both the intern (you) and internship site (Chicago Shakespeare).
Applications must be received by Monday, April 21, 2014.
Please send all application materials to:
Chicago Shakespeare Theater on Navy Pier
800 East Grand Avenue
Chicago, IL 60611
(no phone calls please)