Chicago Shakespeare Theater seeks a highly skilled, self-motivated, and detail-oriented individual to join the production department as a Prop Artisan. CST is a world-class theater company producing work of the highest quality due, in large part, to a strong team philosophy. The Props team consists of the Prop Master, Assistant Prop Master, 2-5 Prop Carpenters and Artisans, and 1-3 interns over the course of the season. Artisans will have the opportunity to hone their skills while working alongside renowned designers in a fully equipped shop.
Job responsibilities include:
- Foam sculpting
- Stitching and soft good construction
- Scenic painting
- Wood working
- Floral arranging
- Printing paper goods
- Furniture building, repair, and upholstery
- Metal working
- Mold making and casting
- Maintaining high safety standards and techniques related to the job
- Ability to sit or stand for long periods of time, stitch by hand, execute small and large motor skills, repeat movements of hands and arms for long periods of time, and lift up to 40 pounds
Desired skills and experience:
- Knowledge of a variety of products, including their different characteristics and applications
- Ability to remain dependable, punctual, and industrious in a fast-paced environment, either working in a team or independently
- Strong time management skills and self motivation to balance a varied and heavy workload
- Effective communication skills when working with an array of production personnel. This includes, but is not limited to taking direction and critique; and offering ideas and solutions.
- Degree in technical theatre and at least 2 years professional experience
Position is paid hourly. Hours will generally be 8am-4 pm or 9am-5pm, Monday-Friday but can vary based on the needs of the production.
Qualified candidates should submit cover letter, resume, and 3 references via email to firstname.lastname@example.org formatted as .pdf, please. Applications will be reviewed in the order they are received. No phone calls, please. Chicago Shakespeare is committed to building diversity and inclusion onstage and throughout the organization. We especially encourage individuals from underrepresented groups to apply.