ABOUT CHICAGO SHAKESPEARE THEATER
A global theatrical force, Chicago Shakespeare Theater (CST), is known for vibrant productions that reflect Shakespeare’s genius for storytelling, language and empathy for the human condition. CST has evolved into a dynamic company, producing a year-long season across a variety of artistic programs at our home on Navy Pier, throughout Chicago’s schools and neighborhoods, and on stages around the world. Reporting to the Marketing Director, the Marketing & Communications Designer has the unique opportunity to work on multiple brands and styles every day. The ideal candidate’s strong design sensibility and technical skills enable the Theater to successfully connect with its audiences and achieve sales/fundraising goals.
CST seeks a highly motivated Marketing & Communications Designer with a personable and collaborative spirit. Applicants must have the talent to create engaging designs and the foresight to anticipate demands. Working closely with Marketing Director and theater leadership (and with support from the Marketing Assistant for Advertising & Publications), this essential member of our team thrives on solving design puzzles, successfully translating strategy into compelling visual communications solutions.
DESIGN EXPERTISE & DUTIES
- Advanced user of Adobe Photoshop, InDesign, and Illustrator (CC).
- An impressive portfolio that demonstrates mastery of layout, type, photography, and color
- Specialization in organizing content, imagery, and strategy into a cohesive designs suitable for sales purposes
- Demonstrated success in swiftly and successfully reshaping concepts across print and digital collateral (direct mail, posters, flyers, signage, print ads, e-blasts, web banners, social media content, etc)
- Expertise in retouching photography
- Ability to generate original art that meets brand standards
- Experience in sourcing and leveraging on-brand stock photography
- Thorough understanding of graphic and web production processes (design, development, and prepress)
- Remain current on design trends and technology
KNOWLEDGE & ESSENTIAL SKILLS
- Consistently deliver effective creative at top speed while maintaining immaculate attention to detail
- Manage competing projects and shifting priorities to meet deadlines
- Well-suited to graciously synthesize and incorporate feedback from a variety of sources
- Superior written and verbal communications skills, including the ability to sell design ideas
- Equally comfortable working independently or as part of a group
- Diligent archiving and organization of graphic project archive, stock image library, and fonts
- A willingness to engage with the Theater’s communication strategies/challenges to better inform design decisions
- An enthusiasm for the performing arts
- 2-4 years professional design experience, preferably with a cultural organization
- While a four-year, design-related college degree is encouraged, any applicants who feel they are truly experienced, skilled designers will be considered—diploma or not.
Compensation is commensurate with qualification and experience, and is competitive with prevailing compensation for similar positions within the non-profit performing arts industry. Benefits include medical and dental insurance, vacation pay and sick leave and personal time, and a 403(b) retirement program.
Application Deadline: March 30, 2018. To be considered for this position, please submit a portfolio that best demonstrates your expertise as a Marketing & Communications Designer, along with your resume, salary history, and a brief cover letter describing your interest, experience, and how you heard about this position to email@example.com.
Chicago Shakespeare is committed to building diversity and inclusion onstage and throughout the organization. We especially encourage individuals from underrepresented groups to apply.