About Chicago Shakespeare Theater
A global theatrical force, Chicago Shakespeare Theater (CST), is known for vibrant productions that reflect Shakespeare’s genius for storytelling, language and empathy for the human condition. CST has evolved into a dynamic company, producing award-winning plays at our home on Navy Pier, throughout Chicago’s schools and neighborhoods, and on stages around the world. Reporting to the Marketing Director, the Graphic Designer/Production Artist is an action-oriented position that enables the Theater to successfully communicate with its target markets and achieve sales/fundraising goals for a year-long season encompassing over 600 performances across a wide variety of artistic programs.
CST seeks a highly motivated Graphic Designer/Production Artist who is detail-oriented when it comes to production and places the utmost value on maintaining consistent design/brand standards in their work. This role collaborates with the creative team of arts lovers that make up the Theater’s administrative team. Working closely with Marketing Director, Senior Designer and theater leadership, the Graphic Designer/Production Artist translates business strategies into compelling visual communications solutions. This vital member of our team initiates and develops design/concepts through final production files, with support from the Marketing Assistant for Advertising and Publications.
Design Skills and Expertise
- BA in Graphic Design
- 1–3 years professional experience designing for print, advertising, web, email, video and social media
- A portfolio that demonstrates creative ability and keen eye for layout, type, photography and color
- Expert knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite software, especially InDesign, Photoshop and Illustrator
- Advanced proficiency with pre-and post-production process for print and digital
- Demonstrated success bringing concepts to life through unique creative solutions and flawless execution
Proven ability to maintain consistency of design and brand standards
Comfortable taking instructions from a Senior Designer/Leadership to create work that aligns with communication goals
Organizational and Work Skills
- Consistently deliver highly effective creative in a fast-paced, budget-conscious environment
- Able to quickly and efficiently adapt design across multiple media formats
- Manage competing projects and shifting priorities to meet deadlines, all with a professional demeanor and positive attitude
Present, rationalize and articulate design ideas through superior verbal and interpersonal skills
A willingness to engage with and understand the Theater’s communication strategies/challenges to better inform design decisions
Equally comfortable working independently or as part of a group
Organized approach to managing graphic project archive, stock image library and fonts
Participate in staff meetings and brainstorming sessions—bringing fresh ideas and a new perspective
Remain current on industry trends and technology
An appreciation and enthusiasm for the performing arts
Compensation is commensurate with qualification and experience, and is competitive with prevailing compensation for similar positions within the non-profit performing arts industry. Benefits include medical and dental insurance, vacation pay and sick leave and personal time, and a 403(b) retirement program.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: JUNE 2, 2017. Qualified candidates are requested to send a resume, salary history, link to online portfolio, and a brief cover letter describing your interest, experience, and how you heard about this position to email@example.com
Candidates of interest will be contacted by a representative of the Theater. Please no calls, mailings or faxes. Chicago Shakespeare Theater is an equal opportunity employer and encourages all to apply.