Chicago Shakespeare Theater is currently accepting Wigs Intern applications for Spring 2019. Applications must be received by November 15, 2018.
As an intern in Chicago Shakespeare Theater’s Production department, you will be joining a world-class group of artisans, craftspeople, carpenters and technicians. Together, the Production Department executes the visions of the many directors and designers who come through Chicago Shakespeare’s doors. With the opening of The Yard in 2017, the Production department looks forward to further innovation in our new flexible performance space.
The Wig Intern will work as part of the Wigs team on the realization of the wig design for upcoming productions. The Intern will have the opportunity to observe and assist professional designers in the realization of their designs as well as gain professional experience in wig and facial hair construction and maintenance.
The Wig Internship will ideally begin in January or February. The exact start and end dates are negotiable. Internship hours range from part to full time. All internship candidates must be available to work a minimum of 24 hours per week for a minimum of 6 weeks in order for this experience to be a worthwhile educational endeavor. Chicago Shakespeare is committed to building diversity and inclusion onstage and throughout the organization. We especially encourage candidates from underrepresented groups to apply.
Desired Skills and Experience:
- Knowledge of period hairstyles
- Stitching and ventilating experience
- Experience running large shows in a wardrobe or wig capacity
- Effective communication skills
- Flexibility and ability to work within tight deadlines
- Detail-oriented and organized
- General shop support and maintenance
- Assisting with wig construction as needed— based on skill level and interest.
- Observe fittings and assist with alterations
- Assist in the inventory and maintenance of storage and rentals
- Assist with dressing where needed
- Collaborating with Costume, Craft and Special Effects departments on projects
- A modest travel stipend
- College credit as available through a student’s academic institution
- Educational and career-coaching opportunities, including an intern seminar series that illuminates the workings of a large arts organization
- An in-depth review of the intern’s resume/portfolio with CST staff members
- Complimentary tickets to CST performances
- Invitations to company-wide events with actors, designers and other artists
- Free and reduced-price tickets to other Chicago theaters through "industry" offers
- Unfortunately we are not able to provide housing
Who should apply for this Internship:
Applicants interested in learning about the day-to-day functions of a professional theatre's Wig department should apply. This position is specifically catered to those interested in the technical and administrative aspects of the trade. Design opportunities are not available as a part of this internship.
To be considered for a Wig Internship with Chicago Shakespeare, please prepare the following to upload through our application form:
- A cover letter stating:
- Your specific interest(s) in this particular internship
- Your available start and end dates
- Hourly time commitment each week
- How you hope this internship will support your future goals
- A current CV or resume describing relevant experience
- Two letters of academic and/or professional reference (Please note that if your references would like to submit their letters to Chicago Shakespeare directly, they may do so through the submission form on this page.)
- If you wish to receive college credit for this internship, please include an outline of your school's requirements.
Questions? Contact Chicago Shakespeare’s Production Department at email@example.com.