- Tug of War: Civil Strife
Henry VI Parts 2 and 3, Richard III
- Company Theatre Mumbai's
- CHICAGO PREMIERE
King Charles III
The Complete Deaths
- Shakespeare Tonight!
- WORLD PREMIERE
The Book of Joseph
- Love's Labor's Lost
- The Lincoln Squares'
- CHICAGO PREMIERE
Shakespeare in Love
- View More Events
- Renew Today
- Subscriber Ticket Exchange
The Wig Intern will work as part of the Wig team on the realization of the wig design for upcoming productions. The Intern will have the opportunity to observe and assist professional designers in the realization of their designs as well as gain some professional experience in wig and facial hair construction and maintenance. Interns receive one-on-one mentoring from the wig and makeup shop staff, the opportunity to learn basic wig-making skills, complimentary tickets to Chicago Shakespeare productions during the internship, and a weekly travel stipend. Throughout the internship, in a seminar series designed exclusively for interns, staff members from across the company illuminate the workings of a large arts organization and offer guidance to career paths ahead with personalized cover letter/resume/interview coaching.
The Wig Internship will begin in mid-January and run through mid-April. The exact start and end dates of the internship are negotiable. Though the intern’s hours can be fairly flexible ranging from part to full time, all internship candidates must be available to work a minimum of 24 hours per week for 6 weeks in order for this experience to be a worthwhile educational endeavor. Chicago Shakespeare Theater is committed to recruiting and fostering a diverse community of artists, staff and students. People of color and individuals from traditionally under-represented groups are encouraged to apply.
Desired Skills and Experience
- Knowledge of period hairstyles
- Stitching and ventilating experience
- Experience running large shows in a wardrobe or wig capacity
- Effective communication skills
- Flexibility and ability to work within tight deadlines
- Detail-oriented and organized
Internship Responsibilities May Include:
- General shop support and maintenance
- Assisting with wig construction as needed—based on skill level and interest.
- Observe fittings and assist with alterations
- Assist in the inventory and maintenance of storage and rentals
- Assist with dressing where needed
- Collaborating with Costume, Craft, and Special Effects departments on projects
Please submit the following as a single PDF document:
- A cover letter stating your specific interest(s) and dates of availability as well as your weekly hourly availability
- A current resume
- Two letters of academic or professional reference
If you wish to receive college credit, please include an outline of your school’s requirements for both the intern (you) and internship site (Chicago Shakespeare).
The application deadline is November 1, 2016.
Applications will be reviewed in the order received. Late or incomplete applications will not be considered. If your references prefer to send the letters themselves, please indicate so in your cover letter.
No phone calls, please.
Please send all application materials to: email@example.com