Chicago Shakespeare Theater is currently accepting Wig Intern applications for Fall 2017. Applications must be received by July 15, 2017.
As an intern in Chicago Shakespeare Theater’s Production department, you will be joining a world-class group of artisans, craftspeople, carpenters and technicians. Together, the Production Management, Stage Management, Scenic, Props, Costumes, Lighting, Sound and Wigs departments execute the visions of the many directors and designers who come through Chicago Shakespeare’s doors. With the opening of The Yard in 2017, the Production department looks forward to further innovation in our new flexible performance space.
The Wig Intern will work as part of the Wig team on the realization of the wig design for upcoming productions. The Intern will have the opportunity to observe and assist professional designers in the realization of their designs as well as gain some professional experience in wig and facial hair construction and maintenance. In addition, Chicago Shakespeare Interns receive a small travel stipend and complimentary tickets to Chicago Shakespeare performances. Other benefits include the opportunity to build professional relationships, receive one-on-one mentoring from Wig and Makeup Shop staff, learn basic wig-making skills, participate in an intern seminar series that illuminates the workings of a large arts organization, and receive a resume and portfolio review with Chicago Shakespeare Staff.
The Wig Internship will begin Late August/Early September. The exact start and end dates of the internship are negotiable. Though the intern’s hours can be fairly flexible ranging from part to full time, all internship candidates must be available to work a minimum of 24 hours per week for 6 weeks in order for this experience to be a worthwhile educational endeavor. Chicago Shakespeare is committed to building diversity and inclusion onstage and throughout the organization. We especially encourage applicants from underrepresented groups.
Desired Skills and Experience
- Knowledge of period hairstyles
- Stitching and ventilating experience
- Experience running large shows in a wardrobe or wig capacity
- Effective communication skills
- Flexibility and ability to work within tight deadlines
- Detail-oriented and organized
- General shop support and maintenance
- Assisting with wig construction as needed— based on skill level and interest.
- Observe fittings and assist with alterations
- Assist in the inventory and maintenance of storage and rentals
- Assist with dressing where needed
- Collaborating with Costume, Craft and Special Effects departments on projects
To be considered for a Wigs Internship with Chicago Shakespeare, please prepare the following to upload through our portal below:
- A cover letter stating: 1) your specific interest/s in this particular internship, 2) your available start and end dates, 3) hourly time commitment each week, 4) how you hope this internship will support your future goals
- A current CV or resume describing relevant experience
- Two letters of academic and/or professional reference (Please note that if your references would like to submit their letters to Chicago Shakespeare directly, they should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.)
- If you wish to receive college credit for this internship, please include an outline of your school's requirements
Questions? Contact Chicago Shakespeare’s Production Department at email@example.com. Applications sent to this email address will not be accepted. Please use the portal below.