Chicago Shakespeare Theater is currently accepting Marketing/PR Intern applications for Summer 2017. Applications must be received by March 1, 2017.
The Theater's Marketing/PR Department is charged with the development and execution of strategic plans to promote the institutional image and attract attendance to the plays and related programs produced by the Theater. Interns will also have the opportunity to work on the promotion and programming of the Theater’s annual Chicago Shakespeare in the Parks program, and the continuing development of materials for our new third theater space, The Yard at Chicago Shakespeare.
The department seeks two interns per term, with one specializing in Marketing (promotions, digital and print campaigns, social media) and another in Public Relations (media communication, press releases, photo and video resources).
Marketing/PR Interns will act as an integral member of the Marketing / PR Department, obtaining hands-on, real-world experience in a creative and supportive atmosphere. In addition, Chicago Shakespeare Interns receive a small travel stipend and complimentary tickets to Chicago Shakespeare performances. Other benefits include the opportunity to build professional relationships, receive one-on-one mentoring from Marketing / PR Department staff, participate in an intern seminar series that illuminates the workings of a large arts organization and receive a resume and portfolio review with Chicago Shakespeare Staff.
Marketing interns must be able to work a minimum of 25 hours per week for 12 weeks between May and August/September. Chicago Shakespeare's Marketing / PR internship offers a rich and challenging experience for qualified college students, recent graduates and young professionals who are actively pursuing careers in professional theater administration. Chicago Shakespeare is committed to building diversity and inclusion onstage and throughout the organization. We especially encourage applicants from underrepresented groups.
Desired Skills and Experience
- Minimum two years undergraduate education or equivalent experience in arts administration, marketing, communications, public relations, journalism, or related field
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal
- Goal-oriented self-starter with a demonstrated ability to multi-task
- Detailed-oriented, focused work ethic
- Experience in sales, promotions, or media desirable
- Willingness to mingle with audiences and accommodate visitors
- Computer literate, with previous experience in Microsoft Word and Microsoft Excel
- Demonstrated interest in performing arts a plus
- Previous knowledge/experience with social media platforms preferable: Facebook, Twitter, Instagram etc.
- Assist in execution of promotions, direct mail and e-marketing projects
- Draft copy for press releases and e-blasts
- Create and manage execution of social media content
- Monitor and report on paid social media and e-marketing campaign performance
- Support coordination of photography, videography and press features
- Assemble press kits
- Assist planning/hosting special events and openings
- Conduct research for press releases, audience expansion and special projects
- Update mailing lists and manage contacts in Tessitura database
- Maintain press clip and photo/video archives
- Manage distribution of promotional materials on and around Navy Pier
- Clean/distill website analytics and data into summary reports
To be considered for a Marketing / PR Internship with Chicago Shakespeare, please prepare the following to upload through our portal below:
- A cover letter stating your specific interest(s) in Marketing and/or Public Relations, availability and how you heard about the position. Please state which internship you are interested in: Marketing, Public Relations or both. You do not need to submit separate applications for the Marketing and Public Relations internship positions.
- A current CV or resume
- Two letters of academic and/or professional reference
- A writing sample from related academic/professional work—ideally a sample that exemplifies your ability to promote a product, person or service (i.e. press release, e-blast copy, flyer copy)
- If you wish to receive college credit for this internship, please include an outline of your school's requirements
Questions? Contact Chicago Shakespeare’s Marketing / PR Department at email@example.com.