- Tug of War: Civil Strife
Henry VI Parts 2 and 3, Richard III
- Company Theatre Mumbai's
- Shanghai Jingju Theatre Company's
The Revenge of Prince Zi Dan (Hamlet)
at The Harris Theater
- CHICAGO PREMIERE
King Charles III
The Complete Deaths
- Shakespeare Tonight!
- WORLD PREMIERE
The Book of Joseph
- Love's Labor's Lost
- The Lincoln Squares'
- CHICAGO PREMIERE
Shakespeare in Love
- View More Events
- Renew Today
- Subscriber Ticket Exchange
Chicago Shakespeare Theater is currently accepting Marketing/PR Intern applications for Winter/Spring 2017. Applications must be received by November 1, 2016.
CST's Marketing/PR internship offers a rich and challenging experience for qualified college students, recent graduates and young professionals who are actively pursuing careers in professional theater administration.
The Theater's Marketing/PR Department is charged with the development and execution of strategic plans to promote the institutional image and attract attendance to the plays and related programs produced by the Theater. Interns will also have the opportunity to work on the promotion and programming of the Theater’s yearlong festival Shakespeare 400 Chicago, and the continuing development of materials for CST’s new third theater space, The Yard at Chicago Shakespeare.
The department seeks two interns per term, with one specializing in Marketing (promotions, digital and print campaigns, social media) and another in Public Relations (media communication, press releases, photo and video resources).
Marketing interns must work a minimum of 25 hours per week for 12 weeks between January and May. In addition to a small stipend, interns receive one-on-one mentoring from the Marketing/PR Department staff; their own CST email account, complimentary tickets to all Chicago Shakespeare performances, and free tickets to other Chicago theaters through “industry” offers. Also, interns participate in an exclusive seminar series in which staff members from across the company illuminate the workings of a large arts organization and offer guidance on future career paths.
Desired Skills and Experience
- Minimum two years undergraduate education or equivalent experience in arts administration, marketing, communications, public relations, journalism, or related field
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal
- Goal-oriented self-starter with a demonstrated ability to multi-task
- Detailed-oriented, focused work ethic
- Experience in sales, promotions, or media desirable
- Willingness to mingle with audiences and accommodate visitors
- Computer literate, with previous experience in Microsoft Word and Microsoft Excel
- Demonstrated interest in performing arts a plus
- Previous knowledge/experience with social media platforms preferable: Facebook, Twitter, Instagram etc.
- Assist in execution of promotions, direct mail and e-marketing projects
- Draft copy for press releases and e-blasts
- Create and manage execution of social media content
- Monitor and report on paid social media and e-marketing campaign performance
- Support coordination of photography, videography and press features
- Assemble press kits
- Assist planning/hosting special events and openings
- Conduct research for press releases, audience expansion and special projects
- Update mailing lists and manage contacts in Tessitura database
- Maintain press clip and photo/video archives
- Manage distribution of promotional materials on and around Navy Pier
- Clean/distill website analytics and data into summary reports
To be considered for an internship position at Chicago Shakespeare Theater, applicants are asked to submit the following information:
- A cover letter stating your specific interest(s) in Marketing and/or Public Relations, availability and how you heard about the position. Please state which internship you are interested in: Marketing, Public Relations, or both. You do not need to submit separate applications for the Marketing and Public Relations internship positions.
- A current CV or resume
- Two letters of academic or professional reference
- A writing sample from related academic/professional coursework—ideally a sample that exemplifies your ability to promote a product, person or service (i.e. press release, e-blast copy, flyer copy)
- If you wish to receive college credit for this internship, please include an outline of your school's requirements.
Applications must be received by November 1, 2016 and will be reviewed after that date.
Please send all application materials to:
Chicago Shakespeare Theater on Navy Pier
800 East Grand Avenue
Chicago, IL 60611
(no phone calls please)