Chicago Shakespeare Theater (CST) is currently accepting Directing Intern applications for our spring production of Macbeth, directed by Aaron Posner and Teller. Applications must be received by November 15, 2017. Interviews will take place (in-person or by video conference) on Saturday, November 18 from 10am-2pm. If you are selected for an interview, you will be notified by 5pm on Thursday, November 16.
Chicago Shakespeare’s Directing Internships are show-specific and offer a unique, hands-on, professional experience. Interns work directly with our world-class directors and associate directors, and are an integral part of the directing team. Interns gain valuable experience working at a leading regional theater with experienced Directors, Designers, Artisans, Technicians, Choreographers and Performers.
Directing Interns must be available for all rehearsals for assigned show. Intern is expected to be present for all rehearsals, techs, and preview performances. This is typically a 6 day/week commitment with rehearsal hours that typically span from 10am-7pm prior to tech rehearsals with typical tech hours after that. Chicago Shakespeare Theater is committed to building diversity and inclusion onstage and throughout the organization. We especially encourage candidates from underrepresented groups to apply.
Project and Dates:
- Macbeth directed by Aaron Posner & Teller
- Associate Director, Maggie Spanuello
- March 20 - May 15, 2018
- We will have two Directing Interns on this production.
- Assist directors and associate director with keeping multiple rehearsal rooms running, taking notes, streamlining communication on the directing team, tracking outstanding questions and answers, and other duties, as needed.
- Assist associate director with tracking of understudy preparation throughout the rehearsal process.
- Observing the process as it unfolds, being curious and asking questions of artists and CST staff.
Desired Skills and Experience
- Directing and/or assistant directing experience
- Minimum 2 years of undergraduate education
- Effective and clear communication skills
- Ability to work well with a diverse group of people
- Detail-oriented and organized
- Computer proficiency, especially in Microsoft Office Suite
- Willingness to learn and work as part of a team
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment but also feel satisfied observing.
- A modest travel stipend
- College credit as available through a student’s academic institution
- Complimentary tickets to CST performances
- A review of the intern’s resume and portfolio with CST Staff Members
- Invitations to company-wide events with actors, designers and other artists
- Free and reduced-price tickets to other Chicago theaters through "industry" offers
- Unfortunately we are not able to provide housing.
To be considered for the Directing Internship with Chicago Shakespeare, please prepare the following to upload through our portal below:
- A cover letter stating:
- Your specific interest/s in this particular internship
- Your available start and end dates based on Macbeth’s production dates
- Hourly availability for time commitment each week, Tuesday - Friday, 10am-7pm
- How you hope this internship will support your future goals
- A current CV or resume describing relevant experience
- Two letters of academic and/or professional reference (Please note that if your references would like to submit their letters to Chicago Shakespeare directly, they should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org
- If you wish to receive college credit for this internship, please include an outline of your school's requirements.
Questions? Contact CST’s Artistic Department at email@example.com.