Chicago Shakespeare Theater is currently accepting Education Intern applications for winter/spring 2016. Applications must be received by November 15, 2015.
Chicago Shakespeare Theater is dedicated to bringing great theater into peoples’ lives, and to creating opportunities for the work on our stage to support education and lifelong learning for students, teachers, and adult audiences. The Education Department creates and coordinates a number of programs, including: student matinee performances at the Theater and on tour regionally to schools; professional development through teacher workshops and seminars; printed and online educational resources to complement the work on our stages; an onsite Teacher Resource Center; and “CPS Shakespeare,” an abridged production staged by an ensemble of Chicago Public high school teachers and their students. Through these efforts, CST has created one of the largest and most respected arts-in-education programs in the country, which is further bolstered by diverse audience enrichment programs for playgoers of all ages.
The Education Department has a permanent staff of four, working closely with many of the 70-person staff of the Theater for various inter-departmental efforts. The Education Intern is a volunteer position with a small stipend; no housing is provided. Interns must be able to commit to a minimum of twenty hours per week.
Desired Skills and Experience
The ideal candidate will possess a number of the following:
- Strong writing and communication skills
- Maturity, good judgment and experience in working with adolescents
- Detail-oriented, focused work ethic
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Working knowledge of online and print research materials
- Experience with digital recording and editing
- Experience with desktop publishing
- Flexibility and the ability to work proactively
Responsibilities may include:
Student matinee preparation and coordination
Greeting school groups attending student matinees
Assisting in coordination and documentation of teacher workshops and seminars
Maintaining records in Tessitura, a comprehensive data management system specialized for arts organizations
Collection and editing of post-performance discussions and audience enrichment talks
Internet research for production-related information and education programming updates from variety of sources
Teacher Resource Center material management, accessioning
Tabulation and qualitative analysis of evaluation and survey data
CST Education interns will gain experience in several different areas:
- The day-to-day operations of a professional theater’s arts-in-education program
- Development of production-related preparatory materials, activities and resources for teachers and students, including interdepartmental interactions with the CST artistic and production teams
- Coordination and hosting of events, including teacher workshops
- Familiarity with the arts-in-education community of Chicago's major cultural institutions through events and partnerships
- Special projects related to theater, education, dramaturgy and teaching
The Education Department is currently accepting applications for an internship beginning in January 2016. To be considered for this internship position, please submit the following information by November 15, 2015.
- A cover letter stating: 1) your specific interest/s in this particular internship, 2) your available start and end dates, 3) hourly time commitment each week, 4) how you hope this internship will support your future goals, 5) other CST internships you are applying for (if applicable)
- Current resume describing relevant experience and detailing computer skills
- A writing sample from related academic coursework—ideally a sample that exemplifies your ability to take a difficult concept and make it accessible to the reader.
- Two letters of academic and/or professional reference
Please send all materials to: email@example.com
Chicago Shakespeare Theater
800 E. Grand Avenue
Chicago, IL 60611
Materials will be reviewed as they are received, and qualified applicants will be contacted to schedule an interview.