The deadline for this internship has passed. Check back soon for details on Winter 2019 internships.
The Casting Department facilitates the hiring of all actors (principals and understudies) for every show and event produced by Chicago Shakespeare Theater. Casting works with directors to audition actors, both new and familiar to the theater, seeking the actor who fulfills a director’s vision. The Casting Department strives to be as familiar as possible with the community of actors in Chicago as well as nationwide.
The Casting Intern will act as an integral member of the Casting Department, obtaining hands-on, real-world experience in a creative and supportive atmosphere. In addition, Chicago Shakespeare Interns receive a small travel stipend and complimentary tickets to Chicago Shakespeare performances. Other benefits include the opportunity to build professional relationships, receive one-on-one mentoring with Casting Department staff, opportunities to see shows at other Chicago theaters, participate in an intern seminar series that illuminates the workings of a large arts organization, and receive a resume and portfolio review with Chicago Shakespeare Staff.
While Chicago Shakespeare Theater internships are typically structured as a commitment of 10 weeks between September - December 2019, the program is also flexible enough to meet the scheduling needs of the intern. Chicago Shakespeare Theater is committed to recruiting and fostering a diverse community of artists, staff and students. People of color and individuals from traditionally under-represented groups are encouraged to apply. Due to the sensitive nature of the information that passes through the office, we do not encourage actors to apply who intend to start their career in Chicago.
Desired Skills and Experience:
- A minimum of two years of undergraduate education preferably in an arts-related field.
- Detail-oriented multi-tasker who has excellent communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Strong interpersonal skills and is comfortable interacting with theater professionals both in person and on the phone.
- Computer literate (experience with Excel and Microsoft Word)
- Possess the ability to work both independently as well as with a team.
- Previous experience in arts administration is a plus.
- Updating and maintaining actor files and database.
- Corresponding with actors and agents through the general casting office email.
- Attending plays at other Chicago theaters to familiarize yourself with actors and different company’s work.
- Organizing casting calls, including assisting in scheduling and preparing sides/paperwork.
- Sitting in on auditions (including union and non-union general auditions).
- A modest travel stipend
- College credit as available through a student’s academic institution
- Educational and career-coaching opportunities, including an intern seminar series that illuminates the workings of a large arts organization
- An in-depth review of the intern’s resume/portfolio with CST staff members
- Complimentary tickets to CST performances
- Invitations to company-wide events with actors, designers and other artists
Free and reduced-price tickets to other Chicago theaters through "industry" offers
Unfortunately we are not able to provide housing.
- To be considered for a Casting Internship with Chicago Shakespeare, please prepare the following to upload through our application form:
- A cover letter stating:
- Your specific interest/s in this particular internship
- Your available start and end dates
- Hourly time commitment each week
- How you hope this internship will support your future goals
- A current CV or resume describing relevant experience
- Two letters of academic and/or professional reference (Please note that if your references would like to submit their letters to Chicago Shakespeare directly, instructions to do so will be emailed once you’ve submitted your application.)
- If you wish to receive college credit for this internship, please include an outline of your school's requirements.
- A cover letter stating:
Questions? Contact Chicago Shakespeare’s Casting Office at email@example.com.