Chicago Shakespeare Theater is currently accepting Casting Intern applications for Summer 2017. Applications must be received by March 1, 2017.
The Casting Department facilitates the hiring of all actors (principals and understudies) for every show and event produced by Chicago Shakespeare Theater. Casting works with directors to audition actors, both new and familiar to the theater, seeking the actor who fulfills a director’s vision. The Casting Department strives to be as familiar as possible with the community of actors in Chicago as well as nationwide.
The Casting Intern will act as an integral member of the Casting Department, obtaining hands-on, real-world experience in a creative and supportive atmosphere. In addition, Chicago Shakespeare Interns receive a small travel stipend and complimentary tickets to Chicago Shakespeare performances. Other benefits include the opportunity to build professional relationships, receive one-on-one mentoring with Casting Department staff, participate in an intern seminar series that illuminates the workings of a large arts organization, and receive a resume and portfolio review with Chicago Shakespeare Staff.
Casting interns must be able to commit to a part-time schedule (3 to 4 days per week) from the beginning of June to the middle of September (can be flexible on start and end dates). Chicago Shakespeare's Casting internship offers a rich and challenging experience for qualified college students, recent graduates and young professionals who are actively pursuing careers in professional theater administration. Due to the nature of the internship, actors and actresses who are pursuing work in the acting field may not be the best fit for this particular internship, although we will consider all applicants. Chicago Shakespeare is committed to building diversity and inclusion onstage and throughout the organization. We especially encourage applicants from underrepresented groups.
Desired Skills and Experience
- A minimum of two years of undergraduate education preferably in an arts-related field.
- Detail-oriented multi-tasker who has excellent communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Strong interpersonal skills and is comfortable interacting with theater professionals both in person and on the phone.
- Computer literate (experience with Excel and Microsoft Word)
- Possess the ability to work both independently as well as with a team.
- Previous experience in arts administration is a plus.
- Organizing casting calls, including assisting in scheduling and preparing sides/paperwork.
- Sitting in on auditions (including union and non-union general auditions).
- Updating and maintaining actor files and database.
- Corresponding with actors and agents through the general casting office email.
- Attending plays at other Chicago theaters to familiarize yourself with actors and different company’s work.
To be considered for a Casting Internship with Chicago Shakespeare, please prepare the following to upload through our portal below:
- A cover letter stating: 1) your specific interest/s in this particular internship, 2) your available start and end dates, 3) hourly time commitment each week, 4) how you hope this internship will support your future goals
- A current CV or resume describing relevant experience
- Two letters of academic and/or professional reference (Please note that if your references would like to submit their letters to Chicago Shakespeare directly, instructions to do so will be emailed once you’ve submitted your application.)
- If you wish to receive college credit for this internship, please include an outline of your school's requirements.
Questions? Contact Chicago Shakespeare’s Casting Office at firstname.lastname@example.org.