Chicago Shakespeare Theater (CST) is a leading international theater company, known for vibrant productions that reflect Shakespeare’s genius for storytelling, language and empathy for the human condition. A recipient of the Regional Theatre Tony Award, CST produces as many as 19 plays over 650 performances every season, making it one of America’s largest, most celebrated theaters.
Internships at Chicago Shakespeare Theater offer an enriching, career-broadening experience for qualified college students, recent graduates, and young professionals. Internships are available during three seasons per year (Summer, Fall and Winter/Spring;) in the following departments: Advancement, Artistic, Casting, Company Management, Costumes, Costume Crafts, Education, Lighting, Marketing/Public Relations, Production Administration, Props, Sound, Stage Management, Technical Direction, and Wigs and Makeup.
Chicago Shakespeare Theater is committed to professional development and career preparation, and strives to make our internships a valuable learning opportunity. CST is committed to recruiting and fostering a diverse community of artists, staff and students. People of color and individuals from traditionally under-represented groups are encouraged to apply.
Throughout the internship, CST interns:
- Act as integral members of their respective departments; obtaining hands-on, real world experience in a creative and supportive atmosphere
- Receive one-on-one mentoring from CST staff members, plus the opportunity to meet with the heads of various departments
- Build professional relationships
- Develop a body of work that can be used towards building a professional portfolio
- Participate in an intern seminar series that illuminates the workings of a large arts organization
Other benefits include:
- A modest travel stipend
- College credit as available through a student’s academic institution
- Complimentary tickets to CST performances
- A review of the intern’s resume and portfolio with CST Staff Members
- Invitations to company-wide events with actors, designers and other artists
- Free and reduced-price tickets to other Chicago theaters through "industry" offers
- Engagement with Chicago’s vibrant theater scene, including the opportunity to network with Chicago theater professionals and other Chicago interns through the League of Chicago Theatres’ Intern Networking Events
Previous Chicago Shakespeare Interns have gone on to work for South Coast Repertory Theatre, Goodman Theatre, Broadway in Chicago, Drury Lane Theatre, Birmingham Repertory Theatre, The Julliard School, The Field Museum, The Glimmerglass Festival, Windy City Playhouse, Stage 773, Ravenswood Events, Children’s Museum of Manhattan and Chicago Public Schools, among others.
The level of responsibility and the ongoing workload of an ever-growing artistic institution require that interns be highly motivated, energetic, and self-reliant. Scheduling is flexible, though most internships are full time and 3-4 months in duration. School-year internships typically require a minimum of 2-3 days per week. All Stage Management positions are full time, typically Tuesday-Sunday. Chicago Shakespeare Theater does not offer internships in directing, acting or design.
Please note that not all departments offer internships each season. Please see below for a list of internships currently available.
Application deadlines are as follows:
- Summer: Applications accepted through March 1
- Fall: Applications accepted through July 1
- Winter/Spring: Applications accepted through November 1
Fall 2017 internship descriptions: