Chicago Shakespeare Theater seeks a self-motivated and detail-oriented individual with strong communication skills to serve as our Stage Crew Apprentice. CST is a world-class theater company producing work of the highest quality due, in large part, to a strong team philosophy. The Apprentice is a full-time, integral member of the CST stage crew staff and will have the opportunity to hone his/her skills alongside veteran CST crew members. The Apprentice will learn about technology and practices used in professional theater through work on productions in our 500-seat Courtyard Theater. CST produces a variety of complex theatrical productions year round with the Apprentice being a key team member of each. He/She will have a wide range of challenging interdisciplinary responsibilities, both individually and as a member of a team that will give valuable and specialized experience.
Job responsibilities include:
- Collaborating in planning the running of shows
- Using fly systems and moving large scenery
- Effectively communicating with an array of production personnel
- Assisting in load-ins, strikes, and other projects throughout the season
Required skills and experience:
- Proven success in stage management and/or run crew roles is ideal
- Good carpentry skills, experience with automated scenery and the ability to troubleshoot technical problems quickly and efficiently
- Ability to sit or stand for long periods of time, execute small and large motor skills, and lift up to 50 pounds
- This position is designed to help recent college graduates enter the workplace and gain valuable professional experience. As such, only applicants with theatrical degrees conferred in the past two years will be considered.
This position is full time involving six days of work per week including nights, weekends, and occasional holidays. Hours will vary based on the needs of each production. The position is salaried, with benefits. Position will begin mid to late August.
Qualified candidates should submit cover letter, resume, and 3 references via email to firstname.lastname@example.org formatted as .pdf, please. Applications will be reviewed in the order they are received. No phone calls, please. Chicago Shakespeare Theater is an equal opportunity employer and encourages all to apply.