CST’s Technical Direction internship offers professional experience for qualified college students and recent graduates who are actively pursuing careers in technical direction and construction for the stage. Working in conjunction with the Technical Direction team, interns are entrusted with a great deal of responsibility and are given challenging, hands-on work that directly furthers the build of upcoming productions. Interns receive one-on-one mentoring from the Scenery Department staff, complimentary tickets to Chicago Shakespeare productions during the internship, and a weekly travel stipend. Throughout the internship, in a seminar series designed exclusively for interns, staff members from across the company illuminate the workings of a large arts organization and offer guidance to career paths ahead with personalized cover letter/resume/interview coaching.
The Technical Direction Internship may begin as early as April and run through August. The exact start and end dates of the internship are negotiable. Though the intern’s hours can be fairly flexible ranging from part to full time, all internship candidates must be available to work a minimum of 24 hours per week for 6 weeks in order for this experience to be a worthwhile educational endeavor.
Desired Skills and Experience:
Minimum two years undergraduate education or equivalent experience as a carpenter/stagehand/technician.
- Basic knowledge of hand and power tools.
- Basic knowledge of counterweight systems and spot rigging techniques.
- Basic knowledge of CAD software and technical drafting for the theater.
- Effective written and verbal communication skills.
- Flexibility and ability to work within tight deadlines.
- Detail-oriented and organized.
- Willingness to learn and work as part of a team.
- Self-starter, willing to take ownership of a specific project or task.
Internship Responsibilities May Include:
- Working directly with the TD and ATDs to understand the overall scope of scenery construction including changeover, strikes, and load-ins.
- Working closely with staff carpenters to coordinate equipment inventory, repair, and maintenance in the Courtyard Theater, Upstairs Theater, various rehearsal spaces, and off-site venues
- Assisting with notes, inspection, and daily maintenance tasks.
- Assisting with researching, locating, building, crafting, and purchasing scenic elements and accessories.
- Contributing to friendly, clean, and safe working practices in the shop.
- Working closely with other technical departments and visiting theater professionals.
- Assisting on special projects as needed.
- A cover letter stating your interest, specific qualifications, dates and hours of availability
- A current resume
- Two letters of academic or professional reference
- If you wish to receive college credit, please include an outline of your school’s requirements for both the intern (you) and internship site (Chicago Shakespeare).
The application deadline is March 1, 2015.
Late or incomplete applications will not be considered. If your references prefer to send the letters themselves, please indicate so in your cover letter.
No phone calls, please.
Please send all application materials to: email@example.com