- Q Brothers Christmas Carol
- A Midsummer Night's Dream
- Chicago Shakespeare Slam: Final Bout
- Community Partnership
Thereby Hangs a Tale
- Compagnie Non Nova's
L’après-midi d’un foehn version 1
- Short Shakespeare!
SATURDAYS 11:00 A.M.
- National Theatre of Great Britain's
An Inspector Calls
- View More Events
- Season Tickets
Applications for this internship are currently closed. Fall 2018 internships will be posted in June.
As an intern in Chicago Shakespeare Theater’s Production department, you will be joining a world-class group of artisans, craftspeople, carpenters, and technicians. Together, the Production Management, Stage Management, Scenic, Props, Costumes, Lighting, Sound, and Wigs departments execute the visions of the many directors and designers who come through CST’s doors. With the recent opening of The Yard in 2017, the Production department looks forward to further innovation in our new flexible performance space.
CST’s Stage Management Internship offers a unique, hands-on, professional experience. CST productions are often technically complicated and require all of the organizational and technical skills required of even the most experienced stage manager. Casts range from seasoned Equity actors to college students. Interns work directly with seasoned Equity Stage Managers and are considered to be an integral part of the Stage Management Team. These internships offer valuable experience working at a leading regional theater and provide the chance to work directly with experienced Directors, Designers, Choreographers, and Performers.
Stage Management Interns must be available for all rehearsals for assigned show. Intern is expected to be present for pre-production, all rehearsals, techs, and preview performances. This is typically a 6 day/week commitment with rehearsal hours that typically span from 10am-6pm prior to tech rehearsals. We are looking to fill several Stage Management Intern positions over the course of the summer, all with varying dates.
Internship Responsibilities May Include:
- Assist the stage managers during the rehearsal and performance process of a production
- Setting up rehearsal spaces and maintaining the rehearsal environment
- Work closely with administrative and technical departments
- Opportunity to work with Scenic, Lighting, Sound, and Costume departments
- Help maintain databases, calendars, and production records
- Assist on any special projects on an as-needed basis
- Assisting with floor management during the run of the show
Desired Skills and Experience:
- Stage Management experience
- Minimum 1 year of undergraduate education
- Effective and clear communication skills
- Ability to work well with a diverse group of people
- Some technical theater experience
- Detail-oriented and organized
- Computer proficiency, especially in Microsoft Office Suite
- Willingness to learn and work as part of a team
- A modest travel stipend
- College credit as available through a student’s academic institution
- Complimentary tickets to CST performances
- A review of the intern’s resume and portfolio with CST Staff Members
- Invitations to company-wide events with actors, designers and other artists
- Free and reduced-price tickets to other Chicago theaters through "industry" offers
- Unfortunately we are not able to provide housing.
To be considered for a Stage Management Internship with CST, please upload the following (ideally as a single PDF):
- A cover letter stating: 1) your specific interest/s in this particular internship, 2) your available start and end dates, 3) hourly time commitment each week, 4) how you hope this internship will support your future goals
- A current CV or resume describing relevant experience
- Two letters of academic and/or professional reference (Please note that if your references would like to submit their letters to CST directly, instructions to do so will be emailed once you’ve submitted your application.)
- If you wish to receive college credit for this internship, please include an outline of your school's requirements.
Questions? Contact CST’s Production Department at firstname.lastname@example.org.