Stage Management Internship
Applications for this Internship must be received by March 1, 2020.
As an intern in Chicago Shakespeare Theater’s Production department, you will be joining a world-class group of artisans, craftspeople, carpenters, and technicians. Together, the Production Management, Stage Management, Scenic, Props, Costumes, Lighting, Sound and Wigs departments execute the visions of the many directors and designers who come through Chicago Shakespeare’s doors. With the opening of our new flexible performance space, The Yard in 2017, the Production department ensures unique learning experiences for our interns.
Chicago Shakespeare’s Stage Management Internship offers a unique, hands-on, professional experience. Interns work directly with seasoned Equity Stage Managers and are an integral part of the Stage Management Team. Interns gain valuable experience working at a leading regional theater with experienced Directors, Designers, Choreographers and Performers.
The Stage Management Intern is expected to be present for pre-production, all rehearsals, techs, and preview performances. This is typically a 6 day/week commitment with rehearsal hours that typically span from 10am-6pm prior to tech rehearsals. Chicago Shakespeare is committed to building diversity and inclusion onstage and throughout the organization. We especially encourage candidates from underrepresented groups to apply.
The internships will be tied to the show schedules and will be announced when the summer season will be announced. If you would like to apply, please include your dates of availability.
- Assist the stage managers during the prep and rehearsal process of a production
- Set up rehearsal spaces and maintaining the rehearsal environment
- Work closely with administrative and technical departments
- Help maintain databases, calendars, and production records
Desired Skills and Experience:
- Stage Management experience
- Minimum 1 year of undergraduate education, or equivalent industry experience
- Effective and clear communication skills
- Ability to work well with a diverse group of people
- Some technical theater experience
- Detail-oriented and organized
- Computer proficiency, especially in Microsoft Office Suite
- Willingness to learn and work as part of a team
- A modest travel stipend
- College credit as available through a student’s academic institution
- Complimentary tickets to CST performances
- A review of the intern’s resume and portfolio with CST Staff Members
- Invitations to company-wide events with actors, designers and other artists
- Free and reduced-price tickets to other Chicago theaters through "industry" offers
- Unfortunately we are not able to provide housing.
To be considered for a Stage Management Internship with CST, please prepare the following to upload through our application form:
- A cover letter stating:
- Your specific interest(s) in this particular internship
- Your available start and end dates
- Hourly time commitment each week
- How you hope this internship will support your future goals
- A current CV or resume describing relevant experience
- Two letters of academic and/or professional reference (Please note that if your references would like to submit their letters to Chicago Shakespeare directly, they may do so through the submission form on this page.) or three references.
- If you wish to receive college credit for this internship, please include an outline of your school's requirements.
Questions? Contact CST’s Production Department at firstname.lastname@example.org.