Chicago Shakespeare Theater (CST) is Chicago Shakespeare Theater is currently accepting Stage Management Intern applications for Macbeth.
Application deadlines are as follows:
Short Shakespeare! A Midsummer Night's Dream: Applications closed
Schiller's Mary Stuart: Applications closed
Macbeth: Applications still being accepted
As an intern in Chicago Shakespeare Theater’s Production department, you will be joining a world-class group of artisans, craftspeople, carpenters, and technicians. Together, the Production Management, Stage Management, Scenic, Props, Costumes, Lighting, Sound and Wigs departments execute the visions of the many directors and designers who come through Chicago Shakespeare’s doors. With the opening of The Yard in 2017, the Production department looks forward to further innovation in our new flexible performance space.
Chicago Shakespeare’s Stage Management Internship offers a unique, hands-on, professional experience. Interns work directly with seasoned Equity Stage Managers and are an integral part of the Stage Management Team. Interns gain valuable experience working at a leading regional theater with experienced Directors, Designers, Choreographers and Performers.
Stage Management Interns must be available for all rehearsals for assigned show. Intern is expected to be present for pre-production, all rehearsals, techs, and preview performances. This is typically a 6 day/week commitment with rehearsal hours that typically span from 10am-6pm prior to tech rehearsals.
The Stage Management Intern is expected to be present for pre-production, all rehearsals, techs, and preview performances. This is typically a 6 day/week commitment with rehearsal hours that typically span from 10am-6pm prior to tech rehearsals. Chicago Shakespeare Theater is committed to building diversity and inclusion onstage and throughout the organization. We especially encourage candidates from underrepresented groups to apply.
Short Shakespeare! A Midsummer Night's Dream: December 20th-January 24th
Schiller's Mary Stuart: January 15th-March 1st
Macbeth: March 13th-May 5th
We will have one SM Intern per production.
- Assist the stage managers during the rehearsal and performance process of a production
- Setting up rehearsal spaces and maintaining the rehearsal environment
- Work closely with administrative and technical departments
- Help maintain databases, calendars, and production records
Desired Skills and Experience
- Stage Management experience
- Minimum 1 year of undergraduate education
- Effective and clear communication skills
- Ability to work well with a diverse group of people
- Some technical theater experience
- Detail-oriented and organized
- Computer proficiency, especially in Microsoft Office Suite
- Willingness to learn and work as part of a team
- A modest travel stipend
- College credit as available through a student’s academic institution
- Complimentary tickets to CST performances
- A review of the intern’s resume and portfolio with CST Staff Members
- Invitations to company-wide events with actors, designers and other artists
- Free and reduced-price tickets to other Chicago theaters through "industry" offers
- Unfortunately we are not able to provide housing.
To be considered for a Stage Management Internship with Chicago Shakespeare, please prepare the following to upload through our portal below:
- A cover letter stating:
- Your specific interest/s in this particular internship
- Your available start and end dates and which production you are applying for
- Hourly time commitment each week
- How you hope this internship will support your future goals
- A current CV or resume describing relevant experience
- Two letters of academic and/or professional reference (Please note that if your references would like to submit their letters to Chicago Shakespeare directly, they should be emailed to email@example.com.)
- If you wish to receive college credit for this internship, please include an outline of your school's requirements.
Questions? Contact CST’s Production Department at firstname.lastname@example.org.