Chicago Shakespeare Theater is currently accepting Sound Intern applications for Summer 2017. Applications must be received by March 1, 2017.
As an intern in Chicago Shakespeare Theater’s Production department, you will be joining a world-class group of artisans, craftspeople, carpenters, and technicians. Together, the Production Management, Stage Management, Scenic, Props, Costumes, Lighting, Sound and Wigs departments execute the visions of the many directors and designers who come through Chicago Shakespeare’s doors. With the opening of The Yard in 2017, the Production department looks forward to further innovation in our new flexible performance space.
Chicago Shakespeare’s Sound Internship offers professional experience for qualified college students who are interested in pursuing careers in theatrical sound design or engineering. Interns are entrusted with a great deal of responsibility and have the opportunity to play an integral role over the course of load-in and tech. In addition, Chicago Shakespeare Interns receive a small travel stipend and complimentary tickets to Chicago Shakespeare performances. Other benefits include the opportunity to receive one-on-one mentoring from the Sound Supervisors, work with renowned Sound Designers, experience with professional equipment, the opportunity to participate in an intern seminar series that illuminates the workings of a large arts organization, and receive a resume and portfolio review with Chicago Shakespeare staff.
The Sound Internship will ideally take place from May to August. The exact start and end dates of the internship are negotiable. Though the intern’s hours can be fairly flexible ranging from part to full time, all internship candidates must be available to work a minimum of 24 hours per week for 6 weeks in order for this experience to be a worthwhile educational endeavor. The Sound Intern must be available to participate in some specific long days and evenings for load ins, strikes and tech rehearsals. Chicago Shakespeare is committed to building diversity and inclusion onstage and throughout the organization. We especially encourage applicants from underrepresented groups.
Desired Skills and Experience
- Minimum one year undergraduate education with experience in theater sound
- Experience with live sound mix and/or computer-controlled systems and interest in learning more
- Computer proficiency
- Effective verbal and written communication skills
- Flexibility and ability to work within tight deadlines
- Detail-oriented and organized
- Willingness to learn and work as part of a team
- Self-starter, willing to take ownership of a specific project or task
- Assisting the Sound Supervisors with load-ins, strikes, maintenance, and repair of sound equipment in the Courtyard Theater, Upstairs Theater, Rehearsal Hall, special event spaces, and off-site venues
- Working closely with other technical departments during load-in, tech, and runs of the shows
- Training as Sound Operator Sub for Chicago Shakespeare performances
- Helping create and maintain organizational paperwork
- Working closely with local and visiting theater professionals
- Assisting on special projects as needed
To be considered for a Sound Internship with Chicago Shakespeare, please prepare the following to upload through our portal below:
- A cover letter stating: 1) your specific interest/s in this particular internship, 2) your available start and end dates, 3) hourly time commitment each week, 4) how you hope this internship will support your future goals
- A current CV or resume describing relevant experience
- Two letters of academic and/or professional reference (Please note that if your references would like to submit their letters to CST directly, instructions to do so will be emailed once you’ve submitted your application.)
- If you wish to receive college credit for this internship, please include an outline of your school's requirements.
Questions? Contact Chicago Shakespeare’s Production Department at firstname.lastname@example.org.