- Song of the Goat's
Songs of Lear
- Foro Shakespeare's
Enamorarse de un incendio
- Company Theatre Mumbai's
- Tug of War:
Henry VI Parts 2 and 3, Richard III
The Complete Deaths
- WORLD PREMIERE
The Book of Joseph
- The Lincoln Squares'
- View More Events
- Subscriber Ticket Exchange
CST’s Properties Internship offers professional experience for qualified college students and recent graduates who are actively pursuing careers in properties design. Interns are entrusted with a great deal of responsibility and are given challenging hands-on work furthering the build of upcoming productions. Interns receive one-on-one mentoring from the Props Master, the opportunity to build portfolio pieces, complimentary tickets to Chicago Shakespeare productions during the internship, and a weekly travel stipend. Throughout the internship, in a seminar series designed exclusively for interns, staff members from across the company illuminate the workings of a large arts organization and offer guidance to career paths ahead with personalized cover letter/resume/interview coaching.
The Props Internship will ideally run from early September through mid-November. The exact start and end dates of the internship are negotiable. Though the intern’s hours can be fairly flexible ranging from part to full time, all internship candidates must be available to work a minimum of 24 hours per week for 6 weeks in order for this experience to be a worthwhile educational endeavor.
Desired Skills and Experience:
- Minimum two years undergraduate education or equivalent experience in scenic/properties work
- Basic knowledge of hand and power tools
- Basic knowledge of paint and craft techniques (including basic sewing)
- Effective written and verbal communication skills
- Computer proficiency with Microsoft Word, Excel, and Photoshop
- Flexibility and ability to work within tight deadlines
- Detail-oriented and organized
- Willingness to learn and work as part of a team
Self-starter, willing to take ownership of a specific project or task
Internship Responsibilities May Include:
- Working directly with the Props Master to understand the overall scope of properties build and collaborate on pieces or projects appropriate for your skill level and interest
- Assisting with researching, locating, building, crafting, and purchasing props
- Contributing to friendly, clean, and safe working practices in the shop
- Assisting the Prop Master and Stage Management with creating and maintaining prop paperwork throughout rehearsals and tech
- Assisting the Prop Master with financial/budgetary documentation
- Assisting in the inventory and maintenance of props storage and rentals
- Working closely with other technical departments and visiting theater professionals
- Assisting on special projects as needed
- A cover letter stating your specific interest(s) and dates of availability as well as your weekly hourly availability
- A current resume
- Two letters of academic or professional reference
- If you wish to receive college credit, please include an outline of your school’s requirements for both the intern (you) and internship site (Chicago Shakespeare).
The application deadline is July 1, 2016.
Applications will be reviewed in the order received. Late or incomplete applications will not be considered. If your references prefer to send the letters themselves, please indicate so in your cover letter.
No phone calls, please.
Please send all application materials to: email@example.com