Chicago Shakespeare Theater (CST) is no longer accepting Properties Intern applications for Fall 2017. Applications for Winter-Spring 2018 internships will be accepted beginning September 1.
As an intern in Chicago Shakespeare Theater’s Production department, you will be joining a world-class group of artisans, craftspeople, carpenters, and technicians. Together, the Production Management, Stage Management, Scenic, Props, Costumes, Lighting, Sound and Wigs departments execute the visions of the many directors and designers who come through Chicago Shakespeare’s doors. With the opening of The Yard in 2017, the Production department looks forward to further innovation in our new flexible performance space.
Chicago Shakespeare’s Properties Internship offers professional experience for qualified college students and recent graduates who are actively pursuing careers in properties design. Interns are entrusted with a great deal of responsibility and are given challenging hands-on work furthering the build of upcoming productions. In addition, Chicago Shakespeare Interns receive a small travel stipend and complimentary tickets to Chicago Shakespeare performances. Other benefits include the opportunity to build professional relationships, receive one-on-one mentoring from the Properties Supervisor, build portfolio pieces, participate in an intern seminar series that illuminates the workings of a large arts organization, and receive a resume and portfolio review with Chicago Shakespeare Staff.
While Chicago Shakespeare Theater insists on a minimum time commitment of 10 weeks between January and June 2018, the program is also flexible enough to meet the scheduling needs of the intern. Chicago Shakespeare Theater is committed to recruiting and fostering a diverse community of artists, staff and students. People of color and individuals from traditionally under-represented groups are encouraged to apply.
Desired Skills and Experience
- Minimum two years undergraduate education or equivalent experience in scenic/properties work
- Basic knowledge of hand and power tools
- Basic knowledge of paint and craft techniques (including basic sewing)
- Effective written and verbal communication skills
- Computer proficiency with Microsoft Word, Excel and Photoshop
- Flexibility and ability to work within tight deadlines
- Detail-oriented and organized
- Willingness to learn and work as part of a team
- Self-starter, willing to take ownership of a specific project or task
- Working directly with the Properties Supervisor to understand the overall scope of properties build and collaborate on pieces or projects appropriate for your skill level and interest
- Assisting with researching, locating, building, crafting, and purchasing props
- Contributing to friendly, clean, and safe working practices in the shop
- Assisting the Properties Supervisor and Stage Management with creating and maintaining prop paperwork throughout rehearsals and tech
- Assisting the Properties Supervisor with financial/budgetary documentation
- Assisting in the inventory and maintenance of props storage and rentals
- Working closely with other technical departments and visiting theater professionals
- Assisting on special projects as needed
To be considered for a Properites Internship with Chicago Shakespeare, please prepare the following to upload through our portal below:
- A cover letter stating: 1) your specific interest/s in this particular internship, 2) your available start and end dates, 3) hourly time commitment each week, 4) how you hope this internship will support your future goals
- A current CV or resume describing relevant experience
- Two letters of academic and/or professional reference (Please note that if your references would like to submit their letters to Chicago Shakespeare directly, , they should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.)
- If you wish to receive college credit for this internship, please include an outline of your school's requirements
Questions? Contact Chicago Shakespeare’s Production Department at email@example.com. Applications sent to this email address will not be accepted.