Chicago Shakespeare Theater is currently accepting Production Management Intern applications for Fall 2018. Applications must be received by July 1, 2018.
As an intern in Chicago Shakespeare Theater’s Production department, you will be joining a world-class group of artisans, craftspeople, carpenters, and technicians. Together, the Production Management, Stage Management, Scenic, Props, Costumes, Lighting, Sound and Wigs departments execute the visions of the many directors and designers who come through Chicago Shakespeare’s doors. With the opening of The Yard in 2017, the Production department looks forward to further innovation in our new flexible performance space.
Chicago Shakespeare’s Production Management Interns are entrusted with a great deal of responsibility and have the opportunity to play an integral role in the Theater’s Production Management Department. They assist the Production Office staff with finances, research, scheduling, and a variety of other projects.
The Production Management Internship will ideally begin in September. The exact start and end dates are negotiable. Internship hours range from part to full time. All internship candidates must be available to work a minimum of 24 hours per week for a minimum of 6 weeks in order for this experience to be a worthwhile educational endeavor. Chicago Shakespeare is committed to building diversity and inclusion onstage and throughout the organization. We especially encourage candidates from underrepresented groups to apply.
Desired Skills and Experience:
- Minimum two years undergraduate education with successful completion of coursework related to Theatre Management/Administration
- Familiarity with backstage terminology, schedules, and safety procedures
- Working knowledge of office equipment
- Well-versed in MS Office Suite programs
- Effective verbal and written communication skills
- Flexibility and ability to work within tight deadlines
- Detail-oriented and organized
- Willingness to learn and work as part of a team
- Interest in taking on leadership roles
- Self-starter, willing to take on specific projects or tasks and see them through to completion
- Conduct research for special projects
- Assist Production Office Manager with financial records and reconciliation
- Help prepare season paperwork (calendars, contact sheets, etc.)
- Support with meeting and event set-up
- General office assistance- shipping/receiving, mail distribution, stocking supplies, filing
- Other special projects to be determined based on intern’s strengths and interests
- A modest travel stipend
- College credit as available through a student’s academic institution
- Educational and career-coaching opportunities, including an intern seminar series that illuminates the workings of a large arts organization
- An in-depth review of the intern’s resume/portfolio with CST staff members
- Complimentary tickets to CST performances
- Invitations to company-wide events with actors, designers and other artists
- Free and reduced-price tickets to other Chicago theaters through "industry" offers
- Unfortunately we are not able to provide housing
Who should apply for this Internship:
Applicants interested in learning about the day-to-day functions of a professional theatre production department should apply.
To be considered for a Production Management Internship with Chicago Shakespeare, please prepare the following to upload through our portal below:
- A cover letter stating:
- Your specific interest(s) in this particular internship
- Your available start and end dates
- Hourly time commitment each week
- How you hope this internship will support your future goals
- A current CV or resume describing relevant experience
- Two letters of academic and/or professional reference (Please note that if your references would like to submit their letters to Chicago Shakespeare directly, they may do so through the submission form on this page.)
- If you wish to receive college credit for this internship, please include an outline of your school's requirements.
Questions? Contact Chicago Shakespeare’s Production Department at email@example.com. Applications sent to this email address will not be accepted. Please use the portal below.