CST’s Lighting Internship offers professional experience for qualified college students who are pursuing careers in theatrical lighting. Interns are entrusted with a great deal of responsibility and have the opportunity to play an integral role in the Theater’s Lighting Department over the course of load-in, hang, focus, and tech. Interns receive one-on-one mentoring from the Lighting Supervisor, experience with professional equipment, opportunities to work with renowned Lighting Designers, complimentary tickets to Chicago Shakespeare productions during the internship, and a weekly travel stipend. Throughout the internship, in a seminar series designed exclusively for interns, staff members from across the company illuminate the workings of a large arts organization and offer guidance to career paths ahead with personalized cover letter/resume/interview coaching.
The Lighting Internship will begin in early September and run through mid-November. The exact start and end dates of the internship are negotiable. Though the intern’s hours can be fairly flexible ranging from part to full time, all internship candidates must be available to work a minimum of 24 hours per week for 6 weeks in order for this experience to be a worthwhile educational endeavor. The Lighting Intern must be available to work some specific long days/evenings for focus and techs. Chicago Shakespeare Theater is an equal opportunity employer and encourages women and minorities to apply.
Desired Skills and Experience:
- Minimum one year undergraduate education with successful completion of coursework in one or more of the following: Technical Drawing, Lighting Design, Lighting Technology
- Basic understanding of electricity and wiring
- Working knowledge of modern lighting equipment
- Basic design skills and experience with one or more types of lighting software
- Effective verbal and written communication skills
- Flexibility and ability to work within tight deadlines
- Detail-oriented and organized
- Willingness to learn and work as part of a team
- Self-starter, willing to take on specific projects or tasks and see them through to completion
Internship Responsibilities May Include:
- Assist Lighting Supervisor in equipment inventory, repair, and maintenance of lighting and special effects equipment for the Courtyard Theater, Upstairs Theater, Rehearsal Hall, and off-site venues
- Work alongside local theater electricians on hang and focus calls
- Work with other technical departments on special lighting projects, including wiring props and scenery
- Help create and maintain show paperwork throughout load-in, tech, and previews
- Work closely with local and visiting theater professionals
- A cover letter stating your specific interest(s) and dates of availability as well as your weekly hourly availability
- A current resume
- Two letters of academic or professional reference
If you wish to receive college credit, please include an outline of your school’s requirements for both the intern (you) and internship site (Chicago Shakespeare).
The application deadline is July 1, 2016.
Applications will be reviewed in the order received. Late or incomplete applications will not be considered. If your references prefer to send the letters themselves, please indicate so in your cover letter.
No phone calls, please.
Please send all application materials to: email@example.com