Gala Intern applications for Winter/Spring 2018 are closed. Summer 2018 applications will be accepted beginning January 1.
The Gala is Chicago Shakespeare’s largest fundraising event, with over a million dollars raised annually. To be held in May/June 2018, the formal evening features a cocktail reception, a dinner, and artistic program.
This hands-on position is an excellent opportunity to learn about what it takes to put on a large scale, high-profile fundraising event. The Gala Intern will learn valuable skills in event coordination, time management, multi-tasking, marketing/communications, and not-for-profit fundraising. Joining the Chicago Shakespeare team also affords an inside look into the workings of a major cultural institution.
While Chicago Shakespeare insists on a minimum time commitment of 10 weeks between January and June 2018, the program is also flexible enough to meet the scheduling needs of the intern. Gala attendance is mandatory (date forthcoming). Chicago Shakespeare Theater is committed to building diversity and inclusion onstage and throughout the organization. We especially encourage candidates from underrepresented groups to apply.
Desired Skills and Experience
- Minimum two years undergraduate education with successful completion of coursework disciplines related to: arts administration, business management and administration, sales, communications, English
- Competency in Microsoft applications, including Word, Excel and PowerPoint — graphic design skills a plus
- Exceptional organizational and communication skills
- Strong conceptual skills for use in developing/maintaining database applications
- Must be able to work effectively as a key support member
- Must be precise and attentive to details
- Coordinate personalized solicitation materials and mailings
- Assist with RSVP tracking and attendee logistics
- Prospect research, with specific focus on in-kind vendor contributions
- Coordinating timely, accurate acknowledgement of Gala donations
- Donor database record entry and maintenance
- Assist with event logistics as assigned
- A modest travel stipend
- College credit as available through a student’s academic institution
- Complimentary tickets to CST performances
- A review of the intern’s resume and portfolio with CST Staff Members
- Invitations to company-wide events with actors, designers and other artists
- Free and reduced-price tickets to other Chicago theaters through "industry" offers
- Unfortunately we are not able to provide housing.
To be considered for a Gala Internship with Chicago Shakespeare, please prepare the following to upload through our portal below:
- A cover letter stating:
- Your specific interest/s in this particular internship
- Your available start and end dates and which production you are applying for
- Hourly time commitment each week
- How you hope this internship will support your future goals
- A current CV or resume describing relevant experience
- Two letters of academic and/or professional reference (Please note that if your references would like to submit their letters to Chicago Shakespeare directly, instructions to do so will be emailed once you've submitted your application.)
- If you wish to receive college credit for this internship, please include an outline of your school's requirements.
Questions? Contact Chicago Shakespeare's Advancement Department at firstname.lastname@example.org.