The deadline for this internship has passed. Check back soon for details on Fall 2019 internships.
As an intern in Chicago Shakespeare Theater’s Production department, you will be joining a world-class group of artisans, craftspeople, carpenters and technicians. Together, the Production Department executes the visions of the many directors and designers who come through Chicago Shakespeare’s doors. With the opening of our new flexible performance space, The Yard in 2017, the Production department ensures unique learning experiences for our interns.
Chicago Shakespeare’s Electrics Internship offers the opportunity to play an integral role in the Theater’s Lighting Department over the course of load-in, hang, focus and tech. Interns will build professional relationships and gain experience working with lighting equipment on a variety of projects.
The Electrics Internship will ideally begin in late May or early June. The exact start and end dates of the internship are negotiable. Internship hours range from part to full time. All internship candidates must be available to work a minimum of 24 hours per week for a minimum of 6 weeks in order for this experience to be a worthwhile educational endeavor. The Electrics Intern must be available to work some specific long days/evenings for focus and techs. Chicago Shakespeare is committed to building diversity and inclusion onstage and throughout the organization. We especially encourage candidates from underrepresented groups to apply.
Desired Skills and Experience:
- Minimum one year undergraduate education with successful completion of coursework in one or more of the following: Technical Drawing, Lighting Design, Lighting Technology
- Basic understanding of electricity and wiring
- Working knowledge of modern lighting equipment
- Basic design skills and experience with one or more types of lighting software
- Effective verbal and written communication skills
- Flexibility and ability to work within tight deadlines
- Detail-oriented and organized
- Willingness to learn and work as part of a team
- Self-starter, willing to take on specific projects or tasks and see them through to completion
- Assist Lighting Supervisor in equipment inventory, repair, and maintenance of lighting and special effects equipment for the Courtyard Theater, Upstairs Theater, Rehearsal Hall, and off-site venues
- Work alongside local theater electricians on hang and focus calls
- Work with other technical departments on special lighting projects, including wiring props and scenery
- Help create and maintain show paperwork throughout load-in, tech, and previews
- Work closely with local and visiting theater professionals
- A modest travel stipend
- College credit as available through a student’s academic institution
- Complimentary tickets to CST performances
- A review of the intern’s resume and portfolio with CST Staff Members
- Invitations to company-wide events with actors, designers and other artists
- Free and reduced-price tickets to other Chicago theaters through "industry" offers
- Unfortunately we are not able to provide housing.
To be considered for an Electrics Internship with Chicago Shakespeare, please prepare the following to upload through our application form:
- A cover letter stating:
- Your specific interest(s) in this particular internship
- Your available start and end dates
- Hourly time commitment each week
- How you hope this internship will support your future goals
- A current CV or resume describing relevant experience
- Two letters of academic and/or professional reference (Please note that if your references would like to submit their letters to Chicago Shakespeare directly, they may do so through the submission form on this page.)
- If you wish to receive college credit for this internship, please include an outline of your school's requirements.
Questions? Contact Chicago Shakespeare’s Production Department at email@example.com.