- Tug of War: Civil Strife
Henry VI Parts 2 and 3, Richard III
- CHICAGO PREMIERE
King Charles III
The Complete Deaths
- High School Shakespeare Slam
Battle of the Bard:
- Shakespeare Tonight!
- WORLD PREMIERE
The Book of Joseph
- Love's Labor's Lost
- CHICAGO PREMIERE
Shakespeare in Love
- View More Events
- Renew Today
- Subscriber Ticket Exchange
CST’s Costume Shop Internship offers direct exposure to the build of upcoming productions. As a member of a fully staffed, in-house costume shop, the intern will have the opportunity to confer with professional designers in the realization of their designs, build professional relationships, construct portfolio pieces, and gain professional experience in theatrical construction, craftwork, quick-rigging and costume maintenance. Interns receive one-on-one mentoring from the costume shop staff, complimentary tickets to Chicago Shakespeare productions during the internship and a weekly travel stipend. Throughout the internship, in a seminar series designed exclusively for interns, staff members from across the company illuminate the workings of a large arts organization and offer guidance to career paths ahead with personalized cover letter/resume/interview coaching.
The Costume Shop Internship will ideally run from early January through mid-April. The exact start and end dates of the internship are negotiable. Though the intern’s hours can be fairly flexible ranging from part to full time, all internship candidates must be available to work a minimum of 24 hours per week for 6 weeks in order for this experience to be a worthwhile educational endeavor. Chicago Shakespeare Theater is committed to recruiting and fostering a diverse community of artists, staff and students. People of color and individuals from traditionally under-represented groups are encouraged to apply.
Desired Skills and Experience
- Minimum two years undergraduate education with successful completion of coursework in one or more of the following: stitching, patterning, dying, craftwork
- Effective communication skills
- Flexibility and ability to work within tight deadlines
- Detail-oriented and organized
- Self-starter, willing to take on a specific project or task as part of the build of the show
Internship Responsibilities May Include:
- Working directly with the Costume Shop staff to understand the overall scope of costume build and collaborate on pieces or projects appropriate for your skill level and interest
- Costume construction, general shop support and maintenance
- Assisting with fittings and alterations
- Assisting in the inventory and maintenance of costume storage and rentals
- Assisting with millinery, dyeing, masks, headpieces, and/or creation of “magical” items
Please submit the following as a single PDF document:
- A cover letter stating your specific interest(s) and dates of availability as well as your weekly hourly availability
- A current resume
- Two letters of academic or professional reference
If you wish to receive college credit, please include an outline of your school’s requirements for both the intern (you) and internship site (Chicago Shakespeare).
The application deadline is November 1st, 2016.
Applications will be reviewed in the order received. Late or incomplete applications will not be considered. If your references prefer to send the letters themselves, please indicate so in your cover letter.
No phone calls, please.
Please send all application materials to: email@example.com.