Chicago Shakespeare Theater (CST) is no longer accepting Costume Shop Intern applications for Fall 2017. Applications for Winter-Spring 2018 internships will be accepted beginning September 1.
As an intern in Chicago Shakespeare Theater’s Production department, you will be joining a world-class group of artisans, craftspeople, carpenters and technicians. Together, the Production Management, Stage Management, Scenic, Props, Costumes, Lighting, Sound and Wigs departments execute the visions of the many directors and designers who come through Chicago Shakespeare’s doors. With the opening of The Yard in 2017, the Production department looks forward to further innovation in our new flexible performance space.
The Costume Shop Internship offers direct exposure to the build of upcoming productions. The intern will have the opportunity to confer with professional designers in the realization of their designs, build professional relationships, construct portfolio pieces and gain professional experience in theatrical construction, craftwork, quick-rigging and costume maintenance. In addition, Chicago Shakespeare Interns receive a small travel stipend and complimentary tickets to CST performances. Other benefits include the opportunity to build professional relationships, receive one-on-one mentoring from Costume Shop staff, participate in an intern seminar series that illuminates the workings of a large arts organization and receive a resume and portfolio review with Chicago Shakespeare staff.
While Chicago Shakespeare Theater insists on a minimum time commitment of 10 weeks between January and June 2018, the program is also flexible enough to meet the scheduling needs of the intern. Chicago Shakespeare Theater is committed to recruiting and fostering a diverse community of artists, staff and students. People of color and individuals from traditionally under-represented groups are encouraged to apply.
Desired Skills and Experience
- Minimum two years undergraduate education with successful completion of coursework in one or more of the following: stitching, patterning, dying or craftwork
- Effective communication skills
- Flexibility and ability to work within tight deadlines
- Detail-oriented and organized
- Self-starter, willing to take on a specific project or task as part of the build of the show
- Working directly with the Costume Shop staff to understand the overall scope of costume build and collaborate on pieces or projects appropriate for your skill level and interest
- Costume construction, general shop support, and maintenance
- Assisting with fittings and alterations
- Assisting in the inventory and maintenance of costume storage and rentals
- Assisting with millinery, dyeing, masks, headpieces, and/or creation of “magical” items
To be considered for a Costumes Internship with Chicago Shakespeare, please prepare the following to upload through our portal below:
- A cover letter stating:
- Your specific interest(s) in this particular internship
- Your available start and end dates
- Hourly time commitment each week
- How you hope this internship will support your future goals
- A current CV or resume describing relevant experience
- Two letters of academic and/or professional reference (Please note that if your references would like to submit their letters to Chicago Shakespeare directly, they should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.)
- If you wish to receive college credit for this internship, please include an outline of your school's requirements.
Questions? Contact Chicago Shakespeare’s Production Department at email@example.com. Applications sent to this email address will not be accepted.