Company Management Intern
Applications for this Internship must be received by March 1, 2020.
Chicago Shakespeare Theater's Company Management department is responsible for overseeing the experience of actors and creative team members involved in CST productions. These duties vary throughout the production process, from booking travel and housing for visiting artists and companies, to arranging meals when needed, and assisting in resolution of emergency issues. Company Management takes pride in maintaining a positive, inclusive, and welcoming environment in which our artists can work to their highest level.
The Company Management intern will act as an integral member of the department, obtaining hands-on, real-world experience in a creative and supportive atmosphere. In addition, Chicago Shakespeare Interns receive a small travel stipend and complimentary tickets to Chicago Shakespeare performances. Other benefits include the opportunity to build professional relationships, receive one-on-one mentoring with Company Management staff, participate in an intern seminar series that illuminates the workings of a large arts organization, and receive a resume and portfolio review with Chicago Shakespeare Staff.
While Chicago Shakespeare Theater internships are typically structured as a commitment of 10 weeks between June - August 2020, the program is also flexible enough to meet the scheduling needs of the intern. Chicago Shakespeare Theater is committed to building diversity and inclusion onstage and throughout the organization. We especially encourage candidates from underrepresented groups to apply.
Desired Skills and Experience:
- Minimum two years undergraduate education
- Strong office, written, verbal and detailed organizational skills required
- Excellent follow-through and time management
- Willingness to learn and work as part of a team
- Interest in taking on leadership roles
- Self-starter, willing to take on specific projects or tasks
- Ability to maintain confidentiality
- Filing, letter writing, computer and office skills
- Valid US Driver’s License
Assist in the booking of artist travel and housing, maintaining relationships with travel agencies, hotels and Chicago housing companies.
Assist in the onboarding of artists for upcoming productions.
Learn and assist in ticket booking and coordination for company members
Assist in coordination and transportation of artists to and from the airport, theater, events and media engagements.
Monitor the daily running of shows, including day-to-day interactions with cast, crew, and creative team.
Assist in the coordination of hospitality for in-house, productions including first rehearsals, tech week, opening night, company dinners and closing events.
Assist in artist coordination/hospitality for Chicago Shakespeare’s annual Gala.
Assist in management of Chicago Shakespeare in the Parks tour
- A modest travel stipend
- College credit as available through a student’s academic institution
- Educational and career-coaching opportunities, including an intern seminar series that illuminates the workings of a large arts organization
- An in-depth review of the intern’s resume/portfolio with CST staff members
- Complimentary tickets to CST performances
- Invitations to company-wide events with actors, designers and other artists
- Free and reduced-price tickets to other Chicago theaters through "industry" offers
- Unfortunately we are not able to provide housing
To be considered for a Company Management Internship with Chicago Shakespeare, please prepare the following to upload through our application form:
- A cover letter stating:
- your specific interest/s in this particular internship,
- your available start and end dates,
- hourly time commitment each week,
- how you hope this internship will support your future goals
- A current CV or resume describing relevant experience
- Two letters of academic and/or professional reference (Please note that if your references would like to submit their letters to Chicago Shakespeare directly, they may do so through the submission form on this page.)
- If you wish to receive college credit for this internship, please include an outline of your school's requirements.
Questions? Contact Ben Gates-Utter at email@example.com.