CST’s Company and Stage Management Internship offers a unique, hands-on professional experience for qualified college students who are pursuing careers in Arts Administration, Producing, or Stage Management. Interns are entrusted with a great deal of responsibility and have the opportunity to play an integral role in the Theater’s Company Management and Stage Management Departments. Interns receive one-on-one mentoring from the Company and Stage Management teams, experience with professional artists and staff, complimentary tickets to Chicago Shakespeare productions during the internship, and a weekly travel stipend. Throughout the internship, in a seminar series designed exclusively for interns, staff members from across the company illuminate the workings of a large arts organization and offer guidance to career paths ahead with personalized cover letter/resume/interview coaching.
This internship will begin in January with work in the Company Management department. In early March, the intern transitions to the Stage Management team for Sense & Sensibility. Work hours can be flexible during the Company Management portion of the internship, but the intern must be available to work some long days/evenings based on artists’ travel itineraries, rehearsals, and performances. The Stage Management portion requires that the intern be present for rehearsals and preview performances for Sense & Sensibility. This part is typically a 6 day/week commitment with rehearsal hours that typically span from 10am-6pm prior to tech rehearsals. The internship will conclude on opening night, April 29, 2015.
Internship Responsibilities May Include:
For Company Management
- Assist in the booking of artist travel and housing, maintaining relationships with travel agencies, hotels, and Chicago housing companies
- Assist in coordination and transportation of artists to and from the airport, theater, events, and media engagements
- Monitor the daily running of shows
- Assist in the management of all tours out of CST, including tour schedule and daily check ins/follow-ups
- Assist in the coordination of hospitality for in-house, visiting, and touring productions including first rehearsals, tech week, opening night, company dinners, and closing night events
For Stage Management
- Assist the stage managers during the rehearsal and performance process of a production
- Set up rehearsal spaces and maintaining the rehearsal environment
- Work closely with administrative and technical departments
- Opportunity to work with Scenic, Lighting, Sound, and Costume departments
- Help maintain databases, calendars, and production records
- Assist on any special projects on an as-needed basis
- Assist with floor management during the tech and previews
- Minimum two years undergraduate education
- Strong office, written, verbal, and detailed organizational skills required
- Excellent follow-through and time management
- Willingness to learn and work as part of a team
- Interest in taking on leadership roles
- Self-starter, willing to take on specific projects or tasks
- Ability to maintain confidentiality
- Stage management experience
- Filing, letter writing, computer, and office skills
- Valid US Driver’s License
- A cover letter stating your specific interest(s) and dates of availability as well as your weekly hourly availability
- A current resume
- Two letters of academic or professional reference
- If you wish to receive college credit, please include an outline of your school’s requirements for both the intern (you) and internship site (Chicago Shakespeare).
The application deadline is November 1st, 2014
Late or incomplete applications will not be considered. If your references prefer to send the letters themselves, please indicate so in your cover letter.
No phone calls, please.
Please send all application materials to: email@example.com