Chicago Shakespeare Theater is currently accepting Casting Intern applications for Fall 2018. Applications must be received by July 1, 2018.
The Casting Department facilitates the hiring of all actors (principals and understudies) for every show and event produced by Chicago Shakespeare Theater. Casting works with directors to audition actors, both new and familiar to the theater, seeking the actor who fulfills a director’s vision. The Casting Department strives to be as familiar as possible with the community of actors in Chicago as well as nationwide.
Casting interns must be able to commit to a part-time schedule (2-2.5 days per week) from the end of August or beginning of September to the middle of December (can be flexible on start and end dates). Chicago Shakespeare's Fall Casting internship offers a rich and challenging experience for qualified college students who are actively pursuing careers in professional theater administration. Due to the nature of the internship, actors and actresses who are pursuing work in the acting field may not be the best fit for this particular internship, although we will consider all applicants. Chicago Shakespeare is committed to building diversity and inclusion onstage and throughout the organization. We especially encourage applicants from underrepresented groups.
Desired Skills and Experience:
- A minimum of two years of undergraduate education preferably in an arts-related field. The Fall internship is an especially good fit for current students.
- Detail-oriented multi-tasker who has excellent communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Strong interpersonal skills and is comfortable interacting with theater professionals both in person and on the phone.
- Computer literate (experience with Excel and Microsoft Word)
- Possess the ability to work both independently as well as with a team.
- Previous experience in arts administration is a plus.
- Updating and maintaining actor files and database.
- Corresponding with actors and agents through the general casting office email.
- Attending plays at other Chicago theaters to familiarize yourself with actors and different company’s work.
- Organizing casting calls, including assisting in scheduling and preparing sides/paperwork.
- Sitting in on auditions (including union and non-union general auditions).
- A modest travel stipend
- College credit as available through a student’s academic institution
- Educational and career-coaching opportunities, including an intern seminar series that illuminates the workings of a large arts organization
- An in-depth review of the intern’s resume/portfolio with CST staff members
- Complimentary tickets to CST performances
- Invitations to company-wide events with actors, designers and other artists
- Free and reduced-price tickets to other Chicago theaters through "industry" offers
- Unfortunately we are not able to provide housing
To be considered for a Casting Internship with Chicago Shakespeare, please prepare the following to upload through our application form:
- A cover letter stating:
- Your specific interest/s in this particular internship
- Your available start and end dates
- Hourly time commitment each week
- How you hope this internship will support your future goals
- A current CV or resume describing relevant experience
- Two letters of academic and/or professional reference (Please note that if your references would like to submit their letters to Chicago Shakespeare directly, they may do so through the submission form on this page.)
- If you wish to receive college credit for this internship, please include an outline of your school's requirements.
Questions? Contact Chicago Shakespeare’s Casting Office at firstname.lastname@example.org.