Chicago Shakespeare Theater is currently accepting Advancement Intern applications for Summer 2017. Applications must be received by March 1, 2017.
Chicago Shakespeare’s Advancement Department creates and executes fundraising strategy to solicit the Theater’s contributed revenue through corporate, foundation, government and individual sources for annual operations and the Our City, Our Shakespeare campaign. The Advancement team is responsible for the stewardship and cultivation of donors through events including the annual Gala.
The Advancement Intern will assist with Chicago Shakespeare Theater's fundraising initiatives in support of the Theater's programming. The intern will gain a broad understanding of fundraising including coordinating stewardship activities and special events, researching prospects and general administrative duties. The intern will also gain valuable experience using the donor and ticketing database, Tessitura. In addition, Chicago Shakespeare Interns receive a small travel stipend and complimentary tickets to Chicago Shakespeare performances. Other benefits include the opportunity to build professional relationships, receive one-on-one mentoring from Advancement Department staff, participate in an intern seminar series that illuminates the workings of a large arts organization; and receive resume and portfolio review with Chicago Shakespeare staff.
While Chicago Shakespeare Theater insists on a minimum time commitment of 10 weeks between June and August 2017, the program is also flexible enough to meet the scheduling needs of the intern. Chicago Shakespeare is committed to building diversity and inclusion onstage and throughout the organization. We especially encourage applicants from underrepresented groups.
Desired Skills and Experience
- Minimum two years’ undergraduate education with successful completion of coursework disciplines related to: arts administration, not-for-profit management, business management and administration, sales, communications, marketing, English
- Competency in Microsoft applications, including Word, Excel and PowerPoint—graphic design skills a plus
- Exceptional organizational and oral and written communication skills
- Strong conceptual skills for use in developing/maintaining database applications
- Must be able to work effectively as a key support member
- Must be precise and attentive to details
- Assist in execution of mailings and e-solicitation projects
- Assist in research and maintaining donor profiles
- Data entry and maintenance
- Maintain annual fund planning and archives
- Assist in planning special events and/or production openings
- General office support
To be considered for a Advancement Internship with Chicago Shakespeare, please prepare the following to upload through our portal below:
- A cover letter stating: 1) your specific interest/s in this particular internship, 2) your available start and end dates, 3) hourly time commitment each week, 4) how you hope this internship will support your future goals
- A current CV or resume describing relevant experience
- Two letters of academic and/or professional reference (Please note that if your references would like to submit their letters to Chicago Shakespeare directly, instructions to do so will be emailed once you’ve submitted your application.)
- If you wish to receive college credit for this internship, please include an outline of your school's requirements.
Questions? Contact Chicago Shakespeare's Advancement Department at email@example.com.