Chicago Shakespeare Theater seeks a Technical Director to lead the scenic efforts for all CST productions. The TD serves in a leadership position in the production department, working closely with the Director of Production to strategize in the planning, staffing, and execution of all scenery for each CST production including a diverse array of producing and presenting work. The TD supervises a team of 2 ATDs and the Stage Crew Head, who together lead the technical design, construction, installation, and maintenance planning processes. The TD manages coordination and communication with the commercial scene shops that fabricate the majority of the scenery for CST productions.
The TD’s duties will include the following:
- Review, interpret, and troubleshoot design drawings to assess financial and practical feasibility.
- Develop preliminary budget estimates based on early drawings and provide suggestions on scope adjustments as needed.
- Actively collaborate with scenic designers to realize as much of their concepts as possible within the responsible bounds of budget, time, and infrastructure.
- Supervise the technical design process and provide quality control for scenery built for CST by commercial scene shops in Chicago and throughout North America.
- Together with 2 ATDs, manage 5 full time house carpenters as well as a large workforce of overhire carpenters.
- Create and/or manage construction drawings and technical solutions to the productions that CST builds in house.
- Along with other department heads, plan and manage load-in and strike for all CST productions.
- Design and supervise the installation of all rigging for CST productions.
- In conjunction with the DoP, manage and continually develop the implementation of a rigorous safety program throughout all production departments.
- Along with the Stage Crew Head, manage automation system design for all productions.
- Represent CST in the communication with the technical departments of external collaborators in order to fully support their performances both on CST stages and in site specific work throughout Chicago.
- Facilitate the transfer of CST productions to stages around the world.
- Develop strategic and long term planning for scenery department and its infrastructure.
- Partner collaboratively with other departments in the organization to support and realize events related to fundraising, audience development, and educational initiatives.
- A minimum of 5 years of experience in Technical Direction at a large regional theater or equivalent.
- A broad working knowledge of all aspects of technical design and production.
- Extensive knowledge of rigging, stage engineering, scenic construction techniques, carpentry, welding, and safe working practices in the theater.
- High level of AutoCAD literacy and 3D drafting capabilities.
- Thorough knowledge of scenic automation theory, system design, installation, and troubleshooting. Experience with winches, elevators, and pneumatics involving complex integration across axes. Navigator experience preferred.
- Proven experience managing and delegating in a fast paced environment while maintaining a spirit of collaboration.
- The ability to lift up to 50 pounds and comfort working at height on lifts and ladders.
CST produces an average of 14 productions each year with a $15 million budget between two stages: a 500 seat Courtyard Theater and a 200 seat Studio Upstairs, in addition to multiple touring venues. Presentation of international pieces, touring, and development of new works and musicals round out its core based in the plays of William Shakespeare.
Position will begin in 2017. This is a full time, salaried position with benefits.
Interested candidates should send a cover letter, resume and 3 references to firstname.lastname@example.org
No calls please.
Chicago Shakespeare Theater is an Equal Opportunity Employer.