Chicago Shakespeare Theater seeks a Props Master to lead the props efforts for all CST productions. The Props Master serves in a leadership position working closely with the Director of Production to strategize in the planning, staffing, and execution of all props for an ambitious season. The Props Master supervises a team of a full-time Assistant Props Master, Props Carpenter, Props Run Crew member, and a workforce of part-time overhire Props Artisans who together lead the construction, installation, and maintenance processes. He/She manages the acquisition and fabrication of all properties for CST productions.
Position will require a strong spirit of collaboration with a keen understanding of the importance of work across departments in the organization.
The Prop Master’s duties will include the following:
- Conduct/manage the research, acquisition, and creation of properties and weaponry for all productions
- Supervise a staff assistant, a staff carpenter, props run crew, and a team of overhire artisans
- Schedule the shopping and build for each production
- Manage production and department budgets
- Maintain prop resources and inventory
- Actively and artistically collaborate with scenic designers to realize as much of their concepts as possible within the responsible bounds of budget, time, and infrastructure.
- Collaborate with the technical departments of international companies in order to fully support their performances both on CST stages and in site specific work throughout Chicago.
- Facilitate the transfer of CST productions to stages around the world.
- Develop strategic and long term planning for props department and its infrastructure.
- A minimum of 5 years of experience in properties management at a large regional theater or equivalent.
- A broad working knowledge and strong background in casting, upholstery, scenic painting, crafts, metalwork, set dressing, stage firearms, weaponry, furniture carpentry, and a basic knowledge of electronics.
- Research skills and a strong understanding of period (especially as it relates to furniture).
- Ability to review, interpret, and troubleshoot design drawings in order to assess financial and practical feasibility.
- Excellent verbal, people, and written communication skills.
- Proven experience managing in a fast paced environment while maintaining a spirit of collaboration.
- The ability to lift up to 50 pounds and comfort working at height on lifts and ladders.
- Must possess a valid driver’s license.
CST produces an average of 14 productions each year with a $14 million budget between two stages: a 500 seat Courtyard Theater and a 200 seat Studio Upstairs, in addition to multiple touring venues. Presentation of international pieces, touring, and development of new works round out its core based in the plays of William Shakespeare. More information on CST can be found at www.chicagoshakes.com.
Position will begin in early 2015. This is a full time, salaried position with benefits.
Interested candidates should send a cover letter, resume, and 3 references to email@example.com
No calls please.
Chicago Shakespeare Theater is an Equal Opportunity Employer.