Chicago Shakespeare Theater seeks a detail oriented individual with strong communication skills and an interest in production management to serve as the Production Management Apprentice. Under the mentorship of the Director of Production, Associate Director of Production, and Production Office Manager, the Apprentice will assist with the management of daily Production Office operations. The Apprentice will also work with this team to identify, develop, and execute long-term departmental projects pertaining to all CST productions. Position will require a strong spirit of optimism and collaboration, with a keen understanding of the importance of work across departments in the organization.
Job responsibilities include:
- Assisting in the administration of productions and events in a six-story, two-venue facility, as well as offsite projects in Chicago and beyond.
- Regular office duties including taking notes at meetings, answering phones, accepting deliveries, filing, faxing, scanning, and photocopying
- Leading research projects relating to productions and events
- Assisting Production Department Heads in all phases of the preproduction, rehearsal, and tech processes.
- Managing the scheduling of meetings/appointments for, and as requested by, the DOP and ADOP
- Coordinating and/or running production aspects of special events
- Assisting in coordination of workshops and CST productions on tour
- Assisting in coordination of production meetings and design presentations
- Assisting with financial record keeping
- Maintaining supply inventories and orders
- Assisting in the coordination of a year-round internship program
- Superlative time management, independent problem solving, and multitasking skills
- Computer literacy, particularly in Microsoft Excel and Outlook
- Strong background in technical theatre practices and/or stage management
- Experience in large scale productions a plus
- The ability to lift 50 pounds
- Valid Driver’s License
Chicago Shakespeare Theater produces an average of 12 productions each year between two stages- the 500-seat Courtyard Theater and 200-seat Studio Theater- in addition to multiple off-site locations and touring venues. The core season, based in the plays of William Shakespeare, is complimented by the presentation of international pieces, musicals, touring productions, and the development of new works.
This position is designed to help recent college graduates enter the workplace and gain valuable professional experience. As such, only applicants with theatrical degrees conferred in the past two years will be considered. This position is full time and includes periodic work at night, on weekends, and occasionally on holidays. The position is salaried, with benefits.
To apply, please email cover letter and resume with 3 references (pdf files, no web links) to: firstname.lastname@example.org Candidates of interest will be contacted by a representative of the Theater. Please no calls. Chicago Shakespeare Theater is an equal opportunity employer and encourages all to apply.