- Tug of War: Civil Strife
Henry VI Parts 2 and 3, Richard III
- Company Theatre Mumbai's
- CHICAGO PREMIERE
King Charles III
The Complete Deaths
- Shakespeare Tonight!
- WORLD PREMIERE
The Book of Joseph
- Love's Labor's Lost
- The Lincoln Squares'
- CHICAGO PREMIERE
Shakespeare in Love
- View More Events
- Renew Today
- Subscriber Ticket Exchange
Chicago Shakespeare Theater seeks a self-motivated and detail-oriented individual with strong communication and technical skills to lead our lighting department. CST is a world-class theater company producing work of the highest caliber due, in large part, to a strong team philosophy. The Lighting Supervisor is a full-time member of the CST production staff and is an integral part of an ambitious program averaging 12 shows per season in a 500-seat courtyard space, 200-seat black box, an exciting new 800 seat multiform space opening in 2017 and several tours. The Lighting Supervisor will work with a variety of touring companies and artists and will need to work in a fast-paced and interdisciplinary manner to address challenges.
Job responsibilities include:
- Serving as master electrician for a 500-seat Courtyard Theater, a 200-seat Studio Theater, an 800 seat flexible space and various off-site locations including touring productions
- Collaborating effectively with designers to achieve their vision for both produced and presented work
- Supervising an Assistant Lighting Supervisor, a staff programmer/board-op, as well as seasonal interns
- Hiring, developing, and managing overhire lighting crews for load in, notes, and strike calls
- Preparing plot and other paperwork for load ins
- Arranging necessary equipment rentals through local and national lighting companies
- Managing show, maintenance, and labor budgets, with a focus on creative and efficient problem solving posed by design needs
- Maintaining lighting inventory by tracking equipment and supplies and performing hands-on maintenance as required
- Wiring and building special effects, practicals and other lighting equipment as required
- Staying up to date on new developments in theatrical lighting technology
- Setting and occasionally running lights for special events
Required skills and experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in technical theater
- Minimum of five years of professional theater lighting experience, regional theater experience preferred
- Strong rigging capabilities, both theory and practice
- Extensive knowledge of ETC EOS, Ion, and Express consoles and dimmers, and ETCNet protocols
- Knowledge of electrical theory and practice, Lightwright, AutoCAD, Vectorworks, Excel, moving lights, scrollers, fog, strobes, wireless dimming, LED technology and special effects equipment.
- Ability to accurately project the costs of design implementation
- Knowledge of safe work practices related to electricity and working at heights
- Ability to sit or stand for long periods of time, and lift up to 50 pounds
- Valid driver’s license and clean driving record is required
This position is full time involving up to six days of work per week including nights, weekends and occasional holidays. Hours will vary based on the needs of each production. The position is salaried with benefits. Position will begin Fall of 2016.
Qualified candidates should submit cover letter, resume and 3 references via email to firstname.lastname@example.org formatted as .pdf, please. Applications will be reviewed in the order they are received. No phone calls, please. Chicago Shakespeare Theater is an equal opportunity employer and encourages all to apply.