Community Engagement Coordinator
Chicago Shakespeare Theater seeks a Community Engagement Coordinator for our summer tour, Chicago Shakespeare in the Parks. This unique position works directly with the tour Project Manager and Chicago Shakespeare’s marketing department to develop and execute a strategy to promote Chicago Shakespeare in the Parks with the goal of deepening community relations and securing strong attendance, including community leadership, at each performance. The Community Engagement Coordinator is the theater’s chief liaison with Park Advisory Councils, community leaders including Aldermen, businesses, churches, neighborhood councils, local libraries, arts organizations and social service agencies in the communities surrounding tour sites. Additionally, this role works closely with the Project Manager to promote the Neighborhood Hosts program to local organizations.
This is a part-time, hourly position, scheduled to begin in April. Those applying must be available April through late-August, during normal business hours and on select nights and weekends.
Reports To: Project Manager
Oversees: Community Engagement Intern
- 12 hrs./week from early April to mid May.
- 30 hrs./week from mid May to late August.
Develop and Execute a Strategy to Promote Chicago Shakespeare in the Parks
- Identify, track and contact neighborhood residents, businesses, churches, local libraries, arts organizations and social service agencies in the program’s targeted communities.
- Execute a strategy that blends relationship building with partners from previous years with outreach to new potential advocates
- Attend meetings and events held by neighborhood stakeholders including Aldermen, businesses, churches, local libraries, arts organizations and social services agencies
- Work with the Project Manager to ensure execution and delivery of resources necessary for the communication and promotion of performances
Make Presentations to local government, community leaders, civic groups and businesses
- Research and identify key stake holders in all neighborhoods.
- Represent Chicago Shakespeare Theater at external meetings, events, and productions and be able to articulate CST’s current education and civic engagement programs, as well as the mission and details of the 2017 tour;
- Establish community stakeholders and secure promotion assistance
- Work with key partners to ensure placement on web sites, newsletters and presence and public meetings.
Stay abreast of new developments in each neighborhood and consult with the Project Manager on issues related to tour sites
Ensure attendance at all park tour sites:
- Identifying neighborhood organizations to partner with on promotion of the program to teens
- Bachelor’s degree
- Community outreach experience
- Strong understanding of Chicago neighborhoods
- Must possess excellent written skills
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Strong organizational and project management skills and the ability to multi-task while maintaining exceptional attention to detail
- Highly literate in Microsoft Office Suite
- Willingness to work extended hours when workload demands, including evenings and weekends
- Interest in the performing arts
- Driver’s license and car
- Spanish a plus
Must be comfortable working outdoors in all weather conditions including: heat, rain and humidity.
Compensation is commensurate with qualification and experience, and is competitive with prevailing compensation for similar positions within the non-profit performing arts industry.
To apply, please submit cover letter and resume by April 1, 2018 to:
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Subject Line: Community Engagement Coordinator Applicant
CST is committed to building diversity and inclusion onstage and throughout the organization. We especially encourage applicants from underrepresented groups.