Chicago Shakespeare Theater on Navy Pier seeks an Associate Director of Production to join a five person team in the CST Production Office. The ADP serves in a leadership position in the department, working with the Director of Production in managing the strategy, design, fabrication processes, and dissemination of information for all CST productions and departmental initiatives. He/she works closely in the management of show budgets, contracts, and 40 full time employees within the department.
Position will require a strong spirit of optimism and collaboration, with a keen understanding of the importance of management across departments in a large regional theater.
The ADoP’s duties will include the following:
- Assist DoP in the management of design and fabrication processes for all CST productions.
- Serve as lead production manager on several projects throughout the season including produced and presented work.
- Manage selected tech rehearsals and load ins.
- Following contracting, serve as primary point of contact for designers and other artistic production team members on all show-related matters.
- Lead production meetings in absence of the DoP.
- Maintain and continually develop management and communication structures both within the production department and with institutional leadership.
- Together with DoP, manage communication between designers, production department heads, and shops to ensure on time and on budget realization of designs.
- Work with the DoP in the creation and ongoing management of production budgets.
- Administer all backstage safety programs and work with DoP in ongoing development of safety initiatives.
- Review production department payroll on a weekly basis.
- Work with department heads to manage the long term planning for offsite storage and management of production assets.
Strong candidates will possess superlative time management, independent problem solving and multitasking skills and will be comfortable performing in a fast paced environment while managing personalities of all types. Candidates must be highly computer literate, and a CAD background will be important. A diverse background in technical theatre practices is a must, as is experience in managing the financial and technical complexity of large scale productions. Regular night and weekend work is required.
CST produces an average of 14 productions each year with a $15 million budget between two stages: a 500 seat thrust theater and a 200 seat flexible space, in addition to multiple touring venues. Presentation of international pieces, touring, and development of new works round out its core based in the plays of William Shakespeare. More information on CST can be found at www.chicagoshakes.com.
Position will begin in early 2015. This is a full time, salaried position with benefits. Salary is commensurate with experience.
Interested candidates should send a cover letter, resume, and 3 references to firstname.lastname@example.org.
No calls, please.
Chicago Shakespeare Theater is an Equal Opportunity Employer.