Chicago Shakespeare Theater seeks a self-motivated and detail-oriented individual with strong communication skills to serve as our Stage Crew Apprentice. CST is a world-class theater company producing work of the highest quality due, in large part, to a strong team philosophy. The Apprentice is a full-time member of the CST show running crew and will have the opportunity to hone their skills alongside experienced CST crew members. The Apprentice will learn first-hand about technology and practices used in professional theater while working on productions in multiple venues. CST produces a variety of complex theatrical productions year round with the Apprentice being a key team member on each project. Chicago Shakespeare Theater is an equal opportunity employer and encourages all to apply.
Job responsibilities include:
- Collaborating in planning the running of shows
- Using fly systems and moving large scenery
- Assisting in inspection of rigging and automation systems
- Effectively communicating with production staff in all departments
- Assisting carpentry team and other production departments with load-ins, strikes, and other projects throughout the season
- Collaborating on interdisciplinary projects throughout the department as required by each production
- Troubleshooting technical problems quickly and efficiently.
Desired skills and experience:
- Proven success in stage management and/or run crew positions.
- Carpentry, scenic painting, and/or props construction experience.
- Experience with automated scenery is a plus, but not required.
- Ability to sit or stand for long periods of time, execute small and large motor skills, and lift up to 50 pounds.
- Positive attitude and strong work ethic.
This is an entry level position designed to help applicants gain valuable skills and further their professional experience as they enter the workforce. Position is open to individuals with some prior professional or collegiate level theatrical experience.
This position is full time involving six days of work per week including nights, weekends, and occasional holidays. Hours will vary based on the needs of each production. The position is paid hourly, with benefits. Position will begin in spring of 2019.
Qualified candidates should submit cover letter, resume, and 3 references via email to firstname.lastname@example.org formatted as .pdf. Applications will be reviewed in the order they are received, and candidates of interest will be contacted by a representative of the Theater. No phone calls, please.
Chicago Shakespeare is committed to building diversity and inclusion throughout the organization.
We especially encourage individuals from underrepresented groups to apply.