Chicago Shakespeare is a leading international theater company, known for vibrant productions that reflect Shakespeare’s genius for storytelling, language and empathy for the human condition. A recipient of the Regional Theatre Tony Award, Chicago Shakespeare produces as many as 19 plays over 650 performances every season, making it one of America’s largest, most celebrated theaters.
Apprenticeships at Chicago Shakespeare Theater offer an immersive, in-depth experience for individuals who have recently received their undergraduate degree. Apprenticeships are designed to help graduates gain valuable professional experience and bridge the gap into the workplace, particularly in areas where graduate programs and other formal training opportunities are rare. Apprenticeships are year-long, staff positions in the following departments: Costume Shop, Production Management, Sound, Stage Crew and Wigs and Makeup.
Chicago Shakespeare Theater is committed to professional development for artisans, technicians and arts managers. The Theater strives to make our apprenticeships both an on-the-job learning opportunity and a fully integrated staff position in their department. Chicago Shakespeare is committed to building diversity and inclusion onstage and throughout the organization. We especially encourage individuals from underrepresented groups to apply.
Throughout the year, Chicago Shakespeare apprentices:
- Act as full-time, integral members of their respective departments; obtaining hands-on professional experience in a creative and supportive atmosphere
- Receive one-on-one mentoring from Chicago Shakespeare staff members
- Build professional relationships
- Execute long-term departmental projects with the guidance of supervisors
- Receive hourly pay with a benefit package, including paid time off and complimentary tickets to Chicago Shakespeare performances
The level of responsibility and the ongoing workload of an ever-growing artistic institution require that apprentices be highly motivated, energetic and self-reliant. All apprentice positions are full-time, although schedules vary by department. Links to detailed job descriptions are posted below when positions are open for new applicants.
There are no current openings.