Chicago Shakespeare Theater is currently accepting internship applications for Summer 2013.
The application deadline is: March 11 th, 2013
The Lighting Internship will begin late May/early June and would ideally run through mid-July, possibly extending into August. The Lighting Intern must work a minimum of 24 hours per week for 6 weeks. Exact hours are flexible, but the intern must be available to work some long days/evenings for focus and techs.
CST’s Lighting Internship offers professional experience for qualified college students who are pursuing careers in theatrical lighting. Interns are entrusted with a great deal of responsibility and have the opportunity to play an integral role in the Theater’s Lighting Department over the course of load-in, hang, focus, and tech. Interns receive one-on-one mentoring from the Lighting Supervisor, experience with professional equipment, the opportunity to work with renowned Lighting Designers, complimentary tickets to Chicago Shakespeare productions during the internship, and a weekly travel stipend.
Desired Skills and Experience:
- Minimum one year undergraduate education with successful completion of coursework in one or more of the following: Technical Drawing, Lighting Design, Lighting Technology
- Basic understanding of electricity and wiring
- Working knowledge of modern lighting equipment
- Basic design skills and experience with one or more types of lighting software
- Effective verbal and written communication skills
- Flexibility and ability to work within tight deadlines
- Detail-oriented and organized
- Willingness to learn and work as part of a team
- Self-starter, willing to take on specific projects or tasks and see them through to completion
Internship Responsibilities May Include:
- Assist Lighting Supervisor in equipment inventory, repair, and maintenance of lighting and special effects equipment for the Courtyard Theater, Upstairs Theater, Rehearsal Hall, and/or off-site venues
- Work along-side local theater electricians on hang and focus calls
- Work with other technical departments on special lighting projects, including wiring props and scenery
- Help create and maintain show paperwork throughout load-in, tech, and previews
- Train as Light Board Operator Sub for CST performances
- Work closely with local and visiting theater professionals
- A cover letter stating your specific interest(s) and dates of availability as well as your weekly hourly availability
- A current CV/resume
- Two letters of academic or professional reference
- If you wish to receive college credit, please include an outline of your school’s requirements for both the intern (you) and internship site (Chicago Shakespeare).
Late or Incomplete applications will not be considered. If your references prefer to send the letters themselves, please indicate so in your cover letter. N o phone calls, please.
Please send all application materials to:
Production Internships - Lighting
Chicago Shakespeare Theater
800 East Grand Avenue
Chicago, IL 60611