Chicago Shakespeare Theater is currently accepting internship applications for Summer 2013
The application deadline is: March 11 th, 2013
The Props Internship will begin late May/early June and would ideally run through mid-July, possibly extending into August. The time commitment is ideally around 24hrs/wk, but schedule and hours are flexible and will be negotiated directly with the Props Master.
CST’s Properties Internship offers professional experience for qualified college students and recent graduates who are actively pursuing careers in properties design. Interns are entrusted with a great deal of responsibility and are given challenging hands-on work furthering the build of upcoming productions. Interns receive one-on-one mentoring from the Props Master, the opportunity to build portfolio pieces, complimentary tickets to Chicago Shakespeare productions during the internship, and a weekly travel stipend.
Desired Skills and Experience:
- M inimum two years undergraduate education or equivalent experience in scenic/properties work
- Basic knowledge of hand and power tools
- Basic knowledge of paint and craft techniques (including basic sewing)
- Effective written and verbal communication skills
- Computer proficiency with Microsoft Word, Excel, and Photoshop
- Flexibility and ability to work within tight deadlines
- Detail-oriented and organized
- Willingness to learn and work as part of a team
- Self-starter, willing to take ownership of a specific project or task
Internship Responsibilities May Include:
- Work directly with the Props Master to understand the overall scope of properties build and collaborate on pieces or projects appropriate for your skill level and interest
- Assist with researching, locating, building, crafting, and purchasing props
- Contribute to friendly, clean, and safe working practices in the shop
- Assist the Prop Master and Stage Management with creating and maintaining prop paperwork throughout rehearsals and tech
- Assist the Prop Master with financial/budgetary documentation
- Assist in the inventory and maintenance of props storage and rentals
- Work closely with other technical departments and visiting theater professionals
- Assist on special projects as needed
- A cover letter stating your specific interest(s) and dates of availability as well as your weekly hourly availability
- A current CV/resume
- Two letters of academic or professional reference
- If you wish to receive college credit, please include an outline of your school’s requirements for both the intern (you) and internship site (Chicago Shakespeare).
Late or Incomplete applications will not be considered. If your references prefer to send the letters themselves, please indicate so in your cover letter. N o phone calls, please.
Please send all application materials to:
Production Internships - Props
Chicago Shakespeare Theater
800 East Grand Avenue
Chicago, IL 60611