Chicago Shakespeare Theater is currently accepting internship applications for Summer 2013.
The application deadline is: March 11 th, 2013
The Wig Internship will begin mid to late May and would ideally run through mid-July, possibly extending into August. The Wig Intern must work a minimum of 24 hours per week for 6 weeks.
The Wig Intern will work as part of the Wig team on the realization of the wig design for upcoming productions. The Intern will have the opportunity to observe and assist professional designers in the realization of their designs as well as gain some professional experience in wig and facial hair construction and maintenance. Interns receive one-on-one mentoring from the wig and makeup shop staff, the opportunity to learn basic wig-making skills, complimentary tickets to Chicago Shakespeare productions during the internship, and a weekly travel stipend.
Desired Skills and Experience
- Knowledge of period hairstyles
- Stitching and ventilating experience
- Experience running large shows in a wardrobe or wig capacity
- Effective communication skills
- Flexibility and ability to work within tight deadlines
- Detail-oriented and organized
Internship Responsibilities May Include:
- General shop support and maintenance
- Assisting with wig construction as needed— based on skill level and interest.
- Observe fittings and assist with alterations
- Assist in the inventory and maintenance of storage and rentals
- Assist with dressing where needed
- Collaborating with Costume and Craft departments on special projects as needed
- A cover letter stating your specific interest(s) and dates of availability as well as your weekly hourly availability
- A current CV/resume
- Two letters of academic or professional reference
- If you wish to receive college credit, please include an outline of your school’s requirements for both the intern (you) and internship site (Chicago Shakespeare).
Late or Incomplete applications will not be considered. If your references prefer to send the letters themselves, please indicate so in your cover letter. N o phone calls, please.
Please send all application materials to:
Production Internships - Wig
Chicago Shakespeare Theater
800 East Grand Avenue
Chicago, IL 60611