Chicago Shakespeare Theater is currently accepting internship applications for Spring 2013.
The internship would begin immediately and run through Late February/Early March.
The costume shop intern will work directly on the build of upcoming productions, in a fully staffed in-house costume shop. The intern will have the opportunity to confer with professional designers in the realization of their designs as well as gain professional experience in theatrical construction, craftwork, quick-rigging and costume maintenance. The costume shop intern must work a minimum of 24hours per week for 6weeks. Interns receive one-on-one mentoring from the costume shop staff, the opportunity to build portfolio pieces, complimentary tickets to Chicago Shakespeare productions during the internship and a small weekly travel stipend.
Desired Skills and Experience
- Minimum two years undergraduate education with successful completion of coursework in one or more of the following: stitching, patterning, dying, craftwork
- Effective communication skills
- Flexibility and ability to work within tight deadlines
- Detail-oriented and organized
- Self-starter, willing to take on a specific project or task as part of the build of the show
Internship Responsibilities May Include:
- Work directly with the Costume Shop Manager to understand the overall scope of costume build and collaborate on pieces or projects appropriate for your skill level and interest
- Costume construction and general shop support/maintenance
- Assist with fittings and alterations
- Assist in the inventory and maintenance of costume storage and rentals
- Assist with millinery, dyeing, masks, headpieces and/or creation of “magical” items
Please submit a cover letter stating your specific interest(s) and availability, a current CV/resume and two letters of academic or professional reference. If you wish to receive college credit, please include an outline of your school’s requirements for both the intern (you) and internship site (Chicago Shakespeare).
Please send all application materials to:
Production Internships - Costume
Chicago Shakespeare Theater
800 East Grand Avenue
Chicago, IL 60611
(no phone calls, please)