CST’s Stage Management Internship offers a unique, hands-on, professional experience. CST productions are often technically complicated and require all of the organizational and technical skills required of even the most experienced stage manager. Casts range from seasoned Equity actors to college students. Interns work directly with seasoned Equity Stage Managers and are considered to be an integral part of the Stage Management Team. These internships offer valuable experience working at a leading regional theater and provide the chance to work directly with experienced Directors, Designers, Choreographers, and Performers.
CST’s touring abridged Shakespeare production tours to 15-20 local parks performing outdoors on a travelling stage. The intern joins the show for pre-production, will be present in all rehearsals, and will be on the road with the show as an integral part of the tour crew. This internship will have some very early and some late days and will experience all typical Chicago summer weather extremes. Intern must be able to lift 50 pounds as they will assist the Tour Crew with daily install/strike at each location. Tour and/or outdoor theater experience a plus.
Stage Management Interns also receive one-on-one mentoring from the Stage Management team, opportunities to work with renowned artists, complimentary tickets to Chicago Shakespeare productions during the internship, and a weekly travel stipend. Throughout the internship, in a seminar series designed exclusively for interns, staff members from across the company illuminate the workings of a large arts organization and offer guidance to career paths ahead with personalized cover letter/resume/interview coaching.
Stage Management Interns must be available for all rehearsals for assigned show. Intern is expected to be present for pre-production, all rehearsals, techs, and preview performances. This is typically a 6 day/week commitment with rehearsal hours that typically span from 10am-6pm prior to tech rehearsals. The Shakespeare in the Parks internship will run from approximately late-June through late-August.
Internship Responsibilities May Include:
- Assist the stage managers during the rehearsal and performance process of a production
- Setting up rehearsal spaces and maintaining the rehearsal environment
- Work closely with administrative and technical departments
- Opportunity to work with Scenic, Lighting, Sound, and Costume departments
- Help maintain databases, calendars, and production records
- Assist on any special projects on an as-needed basis
- Assisting with floor management during the run of the show
Desired Skills and Experience:
- Stage Management experience
- Minimum 1 year of undergraduate education
- Effective and clear communication skills
- Ability to work well with a diverse group of people
- Some technical theater experience
- Detail-oriented and organized
- Computer proficiency, especially in Microsoft Office Suite
- Willingness to learn and work as part of a team
- A cover letter stating your specific interest(s) and dates of availability
- A current resume
- Two letters of academic or professional reference
- If you wish to receive college credit, please include an outline of your school’s requirements for both the intern (you) and internship site (Chicago Shakespeare).
The application deadline is March 1st, 2014.
Late or incomplete applications will not be considered. If your references prefer to send the letters themselves, please indicate so in your cover letter.
No phone calls, please.
Please send all application materials to:
Production Internships – Stage Management
Chicago Shakespeare Theater
800 East Grand Avenue
Chicago, IL 60611