CST’s Sound Internship offers professional experience for qualified college students who are interested in pursuing careers in theatrical sound design or engineering. Interns are entrusted with a great deal of responsibility and have the opportunity to play an integral role over the course of load-in and tech. Interns receive one-on-one mentoring from the Sound Master, experience with professional equipment, the opportunity to work with renowned Sound Designers, complimentary tickets to Chicago Shakespeare productions during the internship and a weekly travel stipend. Throughout the internship, in a seminar series designed exclusively for interns, staff members from across the company illuminate the workings of a large arts organization and offer guidance to career paths ahead with personalized cover letter/resume/interview coaching.
The Sound Internship will begin in January and would ideally run through April. Though the start and end dates of the internship are negotiable, the Sound Intern must work a minimum of 24 hours per week for 6 weeks. Exact hours can be flexible, but the intern must be available to work some long days/evenings for load ins, strikes, and techs.
Internship Responsibilities May Include:
- Assist the Sound Master with load-ins, strikes, maintenance, and repair of sound equipment in the Courtyard Theater, Upstairs Theater, Rehearsal Hall, special event spaces, and/or off-site venues
- Work closely with other technical departments during load-in, tech, and runs of the shows
- Train as Sound Operator Sub for CST performances
- Help create and maintain organizational paperwork
- Work closely with local and visiting theater professionals
- Assist on special projects as needed
Desired Skills and Experience:
- Minimum one year undergraduate education with experience in theatre sound
- Experience with live sound mix and/or computer-controlled systems and interest in learning more
- Computer proficiency
- Effective verbal and written communication skills
- Flexibility and ability to work within tight deadlines
- Detail-oriented and organized
- Willingness to learn and work as part of a team
- Self-starter, willing to take ownership of a specific project or task
- A cover letter stating your specific interest(s) and dates of availability as well as your weekly hourly availability
- A current CV/resume
- Two letters of academic or professional reference
- If you wish to receive college credit, please include an outline of your school’s requirements for both the intern (you) and internship site (Chicago Shakespeare).
The application deadline is November 1st, 2013.
Late or incomplete applications will not be considered. If your references prefer to send the letters themselves, please indicate so in your cover letter.
No phone calls, please.
Please send all application materials to:
Production Internships - Sound
Chicago Shakespeare Theater
800 East Grand Avenue
Chicago, IL 60611