Chicago Shakespeare Theater is currently accepting Marketing/PR Intern applications for summer 2015. Applications must be received by March 1, 2015.
CST's Marketing/PR internship offers a rich and challenging experience for qualified college students, graduates and young professionals who are actively pursuing careers in professional theater administration. Marketing/PR interns are entrusted with a great deal of responsibility and have the opportunity to play an integral role in the Theater’s Marketing Department. A small stipend will be provided.
The Marketing Department is charged with the development and execution of strategic plans to promote the institutional image and attract attendance to the plays and related programs produced by the Theater. Marketing interns must work a minimum of 25 hours per week for 10 weeks between May and August. In addition to a small stipend, interns receive one-on-one mentoring from Marketing Department staff, their own phone extension and CST email account, complimentary tickets to all Chicago Shakespeare performances, free tickets to other Chicago theaters through “industry” offers, and much more!
Desired Skills and Experience
- Minimum two years undergraduate education or equivalent experience in arts administration, marketing, communications, public relations, journalism, or related field
- Effective communication skills, both written and verbal
- Goal oriented self-starter with a demonstrated ability to multi-task
- Detail-oriented, focused work ethic
- Flexibility and ability to work proactively
- Experience in sales, promotions, or media desirable
- Website maintenance, Tessitura and/or e-marketing skills a plus
- Experience in community organizations or grassroots campaigns desirable
- Willingness to mingle with audiences and accommodate visitors
- Computer literate with previous experience in Microsoft Word and Microsoft Excel
- Demonstrated interest in performing arts a plus
- Assist in execution of promotions, direct mail and e-marketing projects
- Draft copy for press releases and e-blasts
- Update mailing lists
- Maintain press clip and photo archives
- Assemble press kits
- Assist planning/hosting special events and openings
- Manage distribution of promotional materials on and around Navy Pier
- Conduct research for press releases and special projects
To be considered for an internship position at Chicago Shakespeare Theater, applicants are asked to submit the following information:
- A cover letter stating your specific interest(s), availability and how you heard about the position, and your top three Marketing/PR concepts and/or how you are interested in learning from this internship
- A current CV or resume
- Two letters of academic or professional reference
- A writing sample from related academic/professional coursework - ideally a sample that exemplifies your ability to promote a product, person or service (i.e. press release, e-blast copy, flyer copy)
- If you wish to receive college credit for this internship, please include an outline of your school's requirements for both the intern (you) and internship site (Chicago Shakespeare).
Applications must be received by March 1, 2015.
Please send all application materials to:
Chicago Shakespeare Theater on Navy Pier
800 East Grand Avenue
Chicago, IL 60611
(no phone calls please)