CST’s Costume Shop Internship offers direct exposure to the build of upcoming productions. As a member of a fully staffed, in-house costume shop, the Intern will have the opportunity to confer with professional designers in the realization of their designs, build professional relationships, construct portfolio pieces, and gain professional experience in theatrical construction, craftwork, quick-rigging, and costume maintenance. Interns receive one-on-one mentoring from the costume shop staff, complimentary tickets to Chicago Shakespeare productions during the internship, and a weekly travel stipend. Throughout the internship, in a seminar series designed exclusively for interns, staff members from across the company illuminate the workings of a large arts organization and offer guidance to career paths ahead with personalized cover letter/resume/interview coaching.
The Costume Shop Internship will begin in January and would ideally run through April. Though the start and end dates of the internship are negotiable, the Costume Shop Intern must work a minimum of 24 hours per week for 6 weeks. The Costume Shop works 9-5 Mondays-Fridays, but the Intern’s hours can be fairly flexible.
Desired Skills and Experience
- Minimum two years undergraduate education with successful completion of coursework in one or more of the following: stitching, patterning, dying, craftwork
- Effective communication skills
- Flexibility and ability to work within tight deadlines
- Detail-oriented and organized
- Self-starter, willing to take on a specific project or task as part of the build of the show
Internship Responsibilities May Include:
- Work directly with the Costume Shop Manager to understand the overall scope of costume build and collaborate on pieces or projects appropriate for your skill level and interest
- Costume construction, general shop support, and maintenance
- Assist with fittings and alterations
- Assist in the inventory and maintenance of costume storage and rentals
- Assist with millinery, dyeing, masks, headpieces and/or creation of “magical” items
- A cover letter stating your specific interest(s) and dates of availability as well as your weekly hourly availability
- A current resume
- Two letters of academic or professional reference
- If you wish to receive college credit, please include an outline of your school’s requirements for both the intern (you) and internship site (Chicago Shakespeare).
The application deadline is November 1st, 2013.
Late or incomplete applications will not be considered. If your references prefer to send the letters themselves, please indicate so in your cover letter.
No phone calls, please.
Please send all application materials to:
Production Internships – Costumes
Chicago Shakespeare Theater
800 East Grand Avenue
Chicago, IL 60611