Chicago Shakespeare Theater seeks a highly skilled, self-motivated, and detail-oriented individual to join the production department as Props Carpenter. CST is a world-class theater company producing work of the highest quality due, in large part, to a strong team philosophy. The Props team consists of the Prop Master, Assistant Prop Master, 2-5 Props Carpenters and Artisans, and 1-3 interns over the course of the season. Carpenter will have the opportunity to hone his/her skills while working alongside renowned designers in a fully equipped shop.
Job responsibilities include
- Wood working
- Metal working
- Furniture building, repair, and upholstery
- Maintaining high safety standards and techniques related to the job
- Ability to sit or stand for long periods of time, execute small and large motor skills, repeat movements of hands and arms for long periods of time, and lift up to 40 pounds
Additional skills preferred but not required
- Foam sculpting
- Stitching and soft good construction
- Scenic painting
- Mold making and casting
- Floral arranging
- Designing and printing paper goods
Desired skills and experience
- Knowledge of a variety of products, their different characteristics and applications
- Ability to remain dependable, punctual, and industrious in a fast-paced environment, either working in a team or independently
- Strong time management skills and self motivation to balance a varied and heavy workload
- Effective communication skills when working with an array of production personnel
- Degree in technical theatre and at least 2 years professional experience
Position is paid hourly, starts in April, and would ideally lead into further employment in the 2014-15 season. Hours will generally be 9am-5pm, Monday-Friday but can vary based on the needs of the production.
Qualified candidates should submit cover letter, resume, and 3 references via email to email@example.com formatted as .pdf, please. Applications will be reviewed in the order they are received. No phone calls, please. Chicago Shakespeare Theater is an equal opportunity employer and encourages all to apply.