Chicago Shakespeare Theater seeks a self-motivated and detail-oriented individual with strong communication and technical skills to lead our lighting department. CST is a world-class theater company producing work of the highest caliber due, in large part, to a strong team philosophy. The Lighting Supervisor is a full-time member of the CST production staff and is an integral part of an ambitious program averaging 12 shows per season in a 500-seat mainstage, 200-seat black box, and several tours. The Lighting Supervisor will work with a variety of touring companies and artists and will need to work in a fast-paced and interdisciplinary manner to address challenges.
Job responsibilities include:
- Serving as master electrician for a 500-seat Courtyard Theater, 200-seat Studio Theater, and various off-site locations including touring productions
- Collaborating effectively with designers to achieve their vision for all productions
- Supervising a full-time staff programmer/board-op and seasonal interns
- Hiring and managing overhire lighting crews for load in, notes, and strike calls
- Preparing plot and other paperwork for load ins
- Managing show, maintenance, and labor budgets, with a focus on creative and efficient problem solving posed by design needs
- Maintaining lighting inventory by tracking equipment and supplies, purchasing, working directly with local rental houses and vendors, and doing hands-on maintenance as required
- Wiring and building special effects, practicals, and other lighting equipment as required
- Staying up to date on new developments in theatrical lighting technology
- Setting and running lights for special events
Required skills and experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in technical theater
- Minimum of five years of professional theater lighting experience, regional theater experience preferred
- Strong rigging capabilities, both theory and practice
- Extensive knowledge of ETC EOS, Ion, and Express consoles and dimmers, and ETCNet protocols
- Knowledge of electrical theory and practice, Lightwright, AutoCAD, Vectorworks, Excel, moving light, scrollers, fog, strobes, wireless dimming, LED technology, and special effects equipment.
- Ability to accurately project the costs of design implementation
- Knowledge of safe work practices related to electricity and working at heights.
- Ability to sit or stand for long periods of time, and lift up to 50 pounds
- Valid driver’s license and clean driving record is required
This position is full time involving up to six days of work per week including nights, weekends, and occasional holidays. Hours will vary based on the needs of each production. The position is salaried with benefits. Position will begin late August to mid-September.
Qualified candidates should submit cover letter, resume, and 3 references via email to email@example.com formatted as .pdf, please. Applications will be reviewed in the order they are received. No phone calls, please. Chicago Shakespeare Theater is an equal opportunity employer and encourages all to apply.