Chicago Shakespeare Theater seeks a self-motivated and detail-oriented individual with strong communication skills to serve as our Costume Shop Assistant/Rentals Manager. CST is a world-class theater company producing work of the highest quality due, in large part, to a strong team philosophy. The Costume Shop Assistant is a full-time, integral member of the CST Costume Shop staff who thrives within our ambitious production schedule averaging 12 shows per season in a 500 seat mainstage, 200 seat black box, and several tours.
Job responsibilities include:
- Stocking shop supplies and maintaining equipment necessary for the in-house build of each production
- Managing Dressers, coordinating Dresser tracks, and supervising maintenance of each production including repairs, replacements, and laundry
- Coordinating understudy options from stock
- Acting as Dresser for international programming/special events
- Maintaining CST’s extensive costume stock, inventory, and archives both onsite and in an offsite warehouse
- Managing rentals to outside theaters including pulling, restocking, invoicing, and shipping
Required skills and experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in technical theater
- Minimum of three years of professional theater experience
- Superlative communication and organization skills, in addition to a strong understanding of period costume construction and maintenance
- Strong personnel management skills and experience constructing wardrobe tracks for large productions are a must
- Familiarity with Microsoft Word and Excel is preferred
- Ability to sit or stand for long periods of time, execute small and large motor skills, and lift up to 50 pounds
- Valid driver’s license and clean driving record is required
This position is full time involving six days of work per week including nights, weekends, and occasional holidays. Hours will vary based on the needs of each production. The position is salaried with benefits. Position will begin mid– to late August.
Qualified candidates should submit cover letter, resume, and 3 references via email to firstname.lastname@example.org formatted as .pdf, please. Applications will be reviewed in the order they are received. No phone calls, please. Chicago Shakespeare Theater is an equal opportunity employer and encourages all to apply.